How do I restore files on an external HDD? (EMERGENCY)

Alpine

Ice Cold++
Veteran XX
Ok my girlfriend is working on a adobe premiere pro project and we went to eat lunch and came back and when she tried to open the file it said it was damaged. I want to know if there is a way to restore this file to an earlier time or some way to fix this. She is very upset and needs help.

:(

try running a chkdsk on the drive, it might repair it for you. (right click on drive, choose properties, Tools, Check Now)

getdataback for ntfs (or fat32 if that's what she's got it formatted as) might restore missing clusters, but you have to pay for that program.

this kinda happened to me when i was playing sim city 4 (install was on external) and i alt tabbed. shit hit the fan but i restarted and it did a chkdsk thing and it worked.

There are normally 5 automatic autosaves for Premiere Pro (at least in the most recent version), thing is I'm not at work so can't remember where the hell it stores them. I think its in root project folder in one of the many Adobe Premiere working folders .. Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save, I think or whatever your scratch disk was set as. Shit sorry I'm not more help, I would be if I was at work.

UPDATE:

She just better not have disabled Auto-Save when setting up the project. Hopefully she wont have lost more than 20 minutes work, but if she left it open when going to lunch chances are it autosaved when she was away.

Scroll down to see the post on the right by 'mike velte' here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=3&postid=868545&pview=t

Premiere is able to keep backup copies of your projects as you edit. This is an incredibly useful feature. In Premiere Pro it will save these old versions to a folder called "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" which will be a subfolder of your regular project file.

Once you have your timeline and project in operation, make sure you save it to your hard drive straight away. The auto save feature wont start working until you save the project file somewhere.

OK, that should be all. You can now go and edit your video. Be sure to check out the guide on how to export your video from Premiere Pro once you are done.
from
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/premprosetup.html

Last edited:
Back