[OLD TV Show] M.A.N.T.I.S.

SL83

Veteran XV
Anyone remember this show? It was about some paralyzed black guy, that created a suit that allowed him to walk again. So instead of using it for the benefit of humanity and curing paralysis, he becomes a superhero.....

Is it just me, or did the end the entire series with the paralyzed guy's suit out of energy, the reporter stuck in a car with him, and they are being attacked by a fucking dinosaur? Then they blew the car up to kill the dinosaur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.N.T.I.S.

Wiki said:
M.A.N.T.I.S. is a TV series that aired for one season. The original two-hour TV pilot was produced by Sam Raimi, and developed by Sam Hamm, it starred actor Carl Lumbly as M.A.N.T.I.S.

Lumbly's character, Dr. Miles Hawkins, was a rich, mild-mannered doctor who was shot in the spine by a criminal leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. Using his company's resources, he invents an exoskeleton suit that not only enables him to walk, but gives him superhuman abilities. He utilizes a vast array of technology, including a large underwater lab and a hovercraft called the Crysalid to fly around the city. With his newfound power, he vows to fight crime and assumes the hidden vigilante identity of "M.A.N.T.I.S." (Mechanically Automated NeuroTrasmitter Interactive System).

The show was later extensively retooled as an ongoing series on FOX, the first bulk of the first season featured an ongoing, and unfolding arc of the Mantis operating in a vigilante role, frequently pursued by police, and battling industrialist Solomon Box. However, a major retooling of the series suddenly reverted the series to a more generic action-adventure comic series, almost a parody of itself compared to the excellent and intriguing earlier instalments.

Hawkins essentially just became another superhero battling invisible men, and in the series' final installment (never aired in the US, but aired in the UK), a prehistoric dinosaur, Miles Hawkins met his death disposing of the creature.

It lasted for one season between August, 1994 and March, 1995.

Lumbly later went on to provide the voice of another superhero, J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter, in the animated television shows Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

[edit]
Trivia
The pilot was the final role of actor, Steve James of the American Ninja movies. James died due to cancer.

Yes I watched this show but never new they had a finale aired in the UK. That is all I have to say about it because it was pretty stupid.

I saw the finale. And it defnitely wasn't in the UK. So the Wiki is wrong. Or it was a rerun I saw that finally did air in the US.

Didn't he walk super slow when he was in his suit? I remeber him just shuffling along and saying how the hell can he catch anyone, a turtle could out run him.

Didn't he walk super slow when he was in his suit? I remeber him just shuffling along and saying how the hell can he catch anyone, a turtle could out run him.

No, he could run and jump like a crazy mofo.

I think when his suit ran out energy, that's when he could barely move.

Back