Applying for work out of college

Icey

Veteran X
Just thought I'd run this by Tribalwar, but I am graduating in the spring and would really like to relocate to the Ft. Myers/Naples/Punta Gorda/Bonita Springs area. I've gone on CareerBuilder.com and found a few jobs to which I've applied but I doubt I'll get more than a dozen that are good fits. But most of these jobs are immediate openings I would think.

So my question is should I do something like just bomb all the firms in the area with my resume outlining my writing and technical abilities? I'm an English/Political Science double major so I know I can do stuff like technical writing, public relations, editing, etc. Would it just be better to send resumes/cover letters in the area without regard to with whom it is? Or should I target more?

Oh and if anyone lives in that area do they know any companies that would be a good fit for a guy like me? I do plan on sending my information to all radio stations and newspapers in the area.

spam them all. follow up with phone calls. walk into their office and see if you can get an interview. use your schools recruiting center. do what it takes. the more you have out there, the better your chances.

English/PoliSci sounds like law school or a marketing job is for you ;)

Fuck marketing. Unless of course I don't have to do like cold calling or that bullshit. I don't like that stuff at all.

As far as law school, I do have the grades for it and I considered it for awhile... but I just don't want to be a lawyer.

no one likes to cold call. there are guys in my office who have be doing it for 35 years and they still hate it. However, make enough of them and you do get results.

no one likes to cold call. there are guys in my office who have be doing it for 35 years and they still hate it. However, make enough of them and you do get results.

Yeah I'm definitely going to graduate and immediately do something I hate. No thanks. I've worked hard enough in school to graduate with honors in the spring to not do that.

Fuck marketing. Unless of course I don't have to do like cold calling or that bullshit. I don't like that stuff at all.

As far as law school, I do have the grades for it and I considered it for awhile... but I just don't want to be a lawyer.

law school is not just for being a trial lawyer.

you will get hired
a. because they need a warm body to fill a position they needed filled 3 years ago and would have filled it except the boss is jewish.
b. because you get paid less and have fewer holidays than the guy they are going to fire. sure you're a pain in the ass, your coworkers basically have to show you how to wipe your ass. but the boss never really gave a fuck about the employees anyway, your boss is jewish.

English/PoliSci sounds like law school or a marketing job is for you ;)
Bingo. Unless you've got some idea of what you want to do with yourself you're going to end up with shit. I'd reconsider law school if I were you...

plenty of people go to law school, come out, and end up in the business sector

law school isn't just about arguing in the courtroom.

Bingo. Unless you've got some idea of what you want to do with yourself you're going to end up with shit. I'd reconsider law school if I were you...

I know what I'm capable of and I'm applying to those sorts of things. I do have a lot of experience with hardware/software so I applied for a job at SONY. All sorts of stuff. As far as law school, look the time for that is over. I did not take the LSAT nor did I apply to law school. I have really no interest in stuff like corporate law, trial law or anything like that outside of watching it on TV or following SCOTUS. I just don't want to do it.

I really do hope I get the job I want which is in broadcast journalism. I've done radio for awhile now so perhaps I'll catch a break.

explain to me why you did the polisci part of your major, as opposed to say an English/Journalism major

explain to me why you did the polisci part of your major, as opposed to say an English/Journalism major

Because... we don't have a journalism major here? And experience matters more than a journalism degree. I've written for newspapers, websites and have done a ton of stuff on the air.

Besides the polisci is for jobs like consulting and such. It's less bullshit than a communications degree and people know you need to be able to debate and communicate if you have a polisci degree.

good luck finding consulting jobs right now

recruiting season just closed for many firms and offers for next year's class were extended

Back