[IT Guys] Looking for a Tape Drive

Looking for a 72gb Travan Tape drive. Looking for a few different brands to compare but don't know which sites to look at.

Any help would be appreciated.

are tape backups still used frequently in production environments? i have no idea anymore. i would've thought there'd be a push towards RAIDed hard drives or instead.

are tape backups still used frequently in production environments? i have no idea anymore. i would've thought there'd be a push towards RAIDed hard drives or instead.

Absolutely they are, because RAID is for redundancy, not backup. The closest we come to backups w/ any RAID environments I deal w/ are rotating hot spairs.

I understand what RAID is for, but what I mean is why wouldn't someone just use a SAN consisting of a bunch of hard drives as their backup? Too expensive still?

Tapes are alive and well.

Look into Exabyte products... I've sold and installed a number of their autoloaders and they're top quality. Quite versatile too, you can just buy the drive now which supports a number of different capacity tapes (so you can save money if you dont need the big ones) and down the road you can buy the autoloader rack enclosure to expand the storage by up to 10x.

Back in the day, I had a Colorado Jumbo 250 (120MB uncompressed) tape backup attached to the floppy port in my computer. That thing was noisy as fuck, and pretty slow too. But it got the job done. Then they (Exabyte!) came out with these awesome extended 170MB uncompressed cartridges and I started using those instead. Ah... memories.

I understand what RAID is for, but what I mean is why wouldn't someone just use a SAN consisting of a bunch of hard drives as their backup? Too expensive still?

And if the building burns down, along with your SAN? ;)

I use a VXA2 tape system for daily backups with multi-week rotation and off-site storage.

Down the road the bitchin' way to do it is going to be real-time 24/7 updates via LAN to an off-site service, fully encrypted.

Your workplace juuust burned to the ground and you need that file you saved 15 minutes ago? No Problem!
:D

Ah, I see. I didn't think about something bad like that. I was only thinking of stuff like equipment failure.

We use an array of 12 removable hard drives connected via Firewire to our master backup machine and rotate them out daily/weekly/monthly, with the previous day, week, and month being in another building at all times.

Back