Embedding Xvid in Webpages?

clockw0rk

Veteran X
I'm trying to use Frontpage to edit my site and simply embed an xvid file that I have on the page. The Active X control for for WMP works, but it sucks and only works in IE. Is there anyway to embed an xvid file (using frontpage) so that it works in Firefox also and isn't lame? I just want a box the size of my vid with a play pause and stop button.

P.S. - If I do instert WebComponent and Plugin and select my video file it works, but there are no controls for anything it will just play as soon as someone looks at the page ,which is not ideal.

Newbie, don't embed crazy activex in your webpages. That shit usually runs inside your browser process and will probably crash someones browser (see: shitty shitty software).

Use flash or an anigif if you have to, otherwise...

I tried flash, when i preview the page there is just a white box and when i right click it just says "Movie not Loaded"

You obviously need an appropriate .swf, and will need to convert your xvid file to something playable. That SHOULD go without saying.

You can't stream XviD. I'm sure you could embed it, but the user would have to download the whole file to play it.

ok, what's a better format? For example, what does YouTube use? You can use their embed tags to embed stuff into webpages, but I don't want any of my videos public (hosted on youtube).

Back