[Guitar] ...legality of free guitar tabs on the Internet

RoomOnFire

Veteran X
Notice:

Due to recent controversy regarding the legality of free guitar tabs on the Internet, MXtabs is temporarily unable to display this guitar tablature. We hope to be able to offer guitar tabs again in the very near future.

WHAT THE FUCK
I stop playing guitar for a little while and the tab world falls to ruin. WTF do I do now :(

probably...i'm suprised it took this long. back in 1998, a buddy of mine at college ran the largest guitar-tab site on the internet off of our university server....well the university got sued by the record companies for this....made headlines, was even in wired magazine. thats why i'm confused as to how there are still sites up.

tab sites have been hurting the sale of over priced tab/music books (?)

i can see it now, "New to iTune, iTabs! Buy tabs from your favorite artist for $.25 a piece!"

I don't fucking understand, it's user-submitted, how is it different than if the person put it on their blog or whatever? Next the lyrics websites will go down because by reading the lyrics we don't make our own representation of their music or some bullshit

I don't fucking understand, it's user-submitted, how is it different than if the person put it on their blog or whatever? Next the lyrics websites will go down because by reading the lyrics we don't make our own representation of their music or some bullshit
Lyric sites have gone down in the past. Some were able to continue by using flash or whatever so that you couldn't copy/paste the lyrics. Nowadays I think it has pretty much gone by the wayside though since it's practically unstoppable. Tabs are just the next incarnation of bullshit.

god i hate it when record companies sue the bands fans for putting up their interpretation of what is played (thats really all tabs are, alot of them have fuck ups that arnt exactly what is recorded on the album) its not like you're downloading the song or anything, you are trying to learn how to play a song because you think it's kickass or will get you laid, the fucking company should take it as a compliment to their artists.

www.harmony-central.com had to change how they host their tabs many years ago, due to legal complications.

Most of the time, the problem with tabs isn't the tabs themselves, its that a record company could argue, based on their accuracy, whether or not they were copied straight from a book.

www.harmony-central.com had to change how they host their tabs many years ago, due to legal complications.

Most of the time, the problem with tabs isn't the tabs themselves, its that a record company could argue, based on their accuracy, whether or not they were copied straight from a book.

Then record companies should not print/sell 'tab' books.

problem solved.

This has been a while now.
The only way you can have sites like mxtabs or mysongbook.com up again is if you write to EVERY artist out there and have them give you permission for this.

WHERE WILL THE INSANITY STOP!?

880780.jpg

Russia.

Russia has a cottage industry hosting sites that any other Western countries wouldn't be able to host. Since the entire country is sitting on the largest oil reserve on earth, they don't really give a fuck about any economic sanction, and (hopefully) no one is willing to go to war over copyright.

Lyrics are owned by publishing companies not by record labels. The publishing companies don't carry as much clout as the RIAA. Those will be around for awhile.

Nobody really gives a shit about the written word anymore anyway.

Back