Quick question on Vonage..

EspoMan

Veteran XV
I'm thinking about getting Vonage in my home but before I get it I want to know if it will work with my current network setup. I have my DSL modem hooked up to a Linksys router upstairs. In one port I have my brothers computer and on another I have a second computer, and on the third one I have a long Cat5 cable leading downstairs to which its hooked up to another Linksys router. That router has DHCP disabled and has a different ip from the router upstairs. I have the router downstairs hooked up to my computer downstairs and everything works fine. My question is, if I hook up the Vonage D-Link VTA adapter to my router downstairs will it work ok?

Thanks in advanced.

The commercial with the fat dorky kid and the hot chick is hilarious. For that reason alone, you should buy vonage.

edit: and yes it should

As long as your second router is not doing NAT also you should be ok, your essentially using the router downstairs as a switch correct?

Management at that company sux, the stock is in the tank. Cramer makes fun of it on his show. A few months ago, Cramer brought out a puppy dog with a sign around it's neck that said Vonage. Ever since then, when he hits the button that plays the barking dog sound, he goes and looks at current stock price. He laughs when it's down and calls Vonage the puppy.

And I care about the stock price because?

They offer great service. It's cheaper than regular phone service, and I can call whoever the fuck I want for free. Win-Win.

And I care about the stock price because?

They offer great service. It's cheaper than regular phone service, and I can call whoever the fuck I want for free. Win-Win.
Phone is down when internet is down, 911 service sucks, they put you on a more expensive plan without asking you if you use it too much.

I work with megagate.. Were a local isp and we do VOIP and their really all the same.. As long as you have a router doing dhcp your good to go

I bought my own number through Skype for $30/year. Free calls in & out.
The only problem I've had is a slight echo on the other end. Otherwise it's worked out really well.
I should mention that my primary phone is my cell, not Skype.

I bought my own number through Skype for $30/year. Free calls in & out.
The only problem I've had is a slight echo on the other end. Otherwise it's worked out really well.
I should mention that my primary phone is my cell, not Skype.

Yea i would def not recommend skype as primary phone.. I would only use that for international calls and such..

Didn't want to start a new thread so I just bumped this one. I'm looking at getting Vonage as well. I'm about to sign up for Comcast Internet, and was wondering if anyone here has used vonage and likes it first off. Secondly I was wondering if they brought you a router, or if you needed your own. If that's the case any suggestions for a router?

Back