[INET] DSL, Comcast, or Verizon?

Gil

Veteran XV
I recently moved out from my friend's apartment. I used his inet there. I need to get inet at my apt, and right now I have money available to do it.

My 3 options are Comcast cable, DSL (line provided by qwest), or Verizon Wireless.

Comcast in this area (Seattle/Tacoma) is great. Outages are very, very rare. Speed is excellent. It's also rather expensive -- $55 a month, and $99 install cuz I don't have cable tv so I can't do a self-install kit. Another problem is that I had a comcast account a couple years ago, and I owe them $270 for that. I could pay that off, but if a different inet connection is better, then I'll just leave it unpaid.

Something I hate about DSL is having to deal with 2 different companies. I've never had dsl, and I should prolly look at some dsl speed test sites to see how qwest's lines do out here. I'll also have to research ISP's to see which are good and have good rates. I have a flier on my desk from a company named "Linxure", who have a basic service for "$37/mo. for 1 year." They also claim "...upload 2x as fast as cable." The more I look at this, the more I think DSL is a mess I don't want to involve myself with, and the savings isn't worth the hassle.

I'm using Verizon Wireless's Broadband service right now...somehow I got a free month trial. I connect through my cell phone. The service is decent, but my phone is broken (long story) so I can only use it for a half hour or so before I have to take my phone battery out to charge it. Plus, if I want to make a call or go somewhere, I can't leave something downloading. Other TW members have rated VZW's service as being rather poor and not worth the $60/mo.

I'm in college right now, so I don't need an inet connection very often at all. There's free inet across the college campus, free inet in various places around my apartment complex (but not where it would reach to INSIDE my apt, annoyingly enough) so I can use it if I need it. I also don't have time to game anymore; it would only be for downloading and webpages for my main pc.

Help me TW! I can't think for myself!

Check and see if you can find some local reviews for both services.

I had cable internet through charter before....then they both cut my up/down speed in half then charged twice the amount for their monthly service

Verizon doubled my up/down speed for free.

Then again, the actions of a company in one local area may not apply to that of another. As stated before, find local reviews.

Your phone company doesn't offer DSL? Also companies like Speakeasy can very often set you up without a home phone being required...
I don't have a home phone. I use a cell, and there's only 1 of me living here.

For speakeasy or any other isp to give me dsl, a phone line must be put in place. It costs $5 more to have a non-serviced line than it does to have a regular phone line. That's $30 or $40 a month I'd rather not spend.

Ok, someone's going to have to spell it out. What the FUCK is wrong with saying 'inet'?

you owe comcast 270? your credit must be in the toilet by now.
It is, and not just because of comcast. How's late pay/no pay for over a year on 2 cc's sound? no pay on numerous other bills. I've had vzw for 4 years, and I've been 1 month behind for the entire 4 years. I'm finally getting it all sorted out after years of being unable to control my own budget.

My only saving grace is my car payment, for which I'm never late.

your phone bill wont effect your credit. unless it goes to collections.
(affect not effect...sry)

Yea, but the rest do. I wanted to switch from verizon to cingular a while back, and they wanted a $500 deposit. Tmobile wanted $750.

Back