espn mobile going to shut down

Falhawk

Veteran XX
damn that was quick..and not surprising

Mobile ESPN, a start-up cellphone company backed by Walt Disney Co., will announce as soon as Thursday that it is closing down operations, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

The newspaper said Mobile ESPN is hoping to reinvent itself as a content partner of bigger wireless carriers, citing people familiar with the matter. ESPN could not immediately be contacted.

i thought the idea was cool but figured it'd die quick.

its a cool idea but its so niche. I mean who really wants all that crap all the time and a non-verizon/cingular/tmobile network.

I dont know I would like some of the features but im not that much of an information junkie.

I am sure the technology they developed would be very usefull for large providers. If they allowed themselves access to a larger market it would work better.

yeah i dont think anyone really needs a bottom line on their cellphone all day long. i mean, im a big sports guy, but i dont need to know who the fuck is the starting pitcher for the rockies/nationals game

i've been close to switching to espn service on multiple occasions, but i could never pull the trigger.

guess i'm glad i didn't now :shrug:

i've been close to switching to espn service on multiple occasions, but i could never pull the trigger.

guess i'm glad i didn't now :shrug:

same here. I wanted it, but have been delaying it. Guess it's now a good thing. Surprised it died so fast, they advertised it really heavily on ESPN.

same here. I wanted it, but have been delaying it. Guess it's now a good thing. Surprised it died so fast, they advertised it really heavily on ESPN.

many analysts and industry folks are surprised as well, since they expected it to become one of the more successful MVNO's 3-4 years down the line. Niche MVNO's have an uphill battle gaining significant subscribers, but many thought espn could do it given time.

they did drop the ball with small phone choice, very high startup cost and some missing features, but nothing they could not have fixed.

this is also why i wonder if they are actually winding down rather than being shut off.

Back