[TECH] IT Pros, who do you use for data recovery?

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
When a drive is in such sad shape that data recovery software cannot detect the drive who do you send the drive to to recover the data?

I haven't had to do this in 4-5 years so I lost touch(and the name) of the company I used to go thru to recover data from dead drives. I am talking drives that don't power up or the bios cannot see them.

Who do you use? If you happen to know the costs list them also.

i used some guy from somethingawful.com forums. He had a clean box and all that fun stuff.

last one cost me like 129 in parts and 99 in labor. Beat the shit out of everyone else's 'we'll take a look at it fee' of $750

Never had to go that far.

Always pulled from backup.

What fool hosed it that bad?

Make HIM pay for it.

Never had to go that far.

Always pulled from backup.

What fool hosed it that bad?

Make HIM pay for it.

physical damage is hard to 'accidentally' cause on a hd, assuming you aren't physically moving it...

Moving parts\electronics burn out sometimes, doesn't make it somebody's fault.

I forgot the name of the place, its near Rochester NY, like $350 a drive...fuk paying $3000, rofl.

Send the drive to me with $2000 cash and Ill send it to these dudes ftw

ontrack if necessary

typically we don't ever rely on a single drive for anything, but it happens...

physical damage is hard to 'accidentally' cause on a hd, assuming you aren't physically moving it...

Moving parts\electronics burn out sometimes, doesn't make it somebody's fault.

Not that I'm an expert on data recovery, but every user who's ever brought a drive to me that had physical damage (less then 10, but more then 5) had some interesting story about how the damage happened. Usually involving a kid or a dog, with a quick drop and a sudden stop mixed in somewhere.

ontrack if necessary

typically we don't ever rely on a single drive for anything, but it happens...

We don't either, problem is this is one of our clients home PC's. He had alot of work saved on this home PC and it was not backed up. Dumb lawyers.

EDIT: Now that you guys mention it OnTrack is the company we used that I forgot about. Will give them a ring. I remember them being pretty good and on time.

we have damaged drives come in here nearly every day. we dont do physical recovery but we do data recovery with multiple methods, including getdataback (running it right now).

generally successful.

Back