Stability issues with my new video card.

LiNK

Veteran X
I need help TW. A couple of months ago I purchased this card and I've had some frustrating stability issues while playing games. It seems to happen about 10-20min into a game that I will either crash to desktop or the screen will freeze and I'll have to manually reboot the system. At first it sounded like a heat issue but the GPU temperature stays around 56°c according the the ATi catalyst software even while running games. The system is much more stable with the old Geforce 6200 that shipped with the computer, but I really needed to upgrade to play Oblivion, FEAR, etc. I've made sure all the drivers were up to date and I'm running out of ideas to get this worked out. (One thing I might add though is that I have no crashing issues while playing CS: Source with the x1600 but all non-steam games are really unstable.)

Here are my system specs if it might help:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2
Windows XP Pro SP2
EVGA 133-K8-NF41-AX motherboard
420w power supply
2GB Kingston DDR 400 RAM

I used to be a lot more hardware savvy but I haven't really stayed current and this is the first system that I've purchased instead of building myself in a few years. Any help would be appreciated, just let me know if you need any more information about my system.

Last edited:
I would suggest checking out the power requirements of your video card. Most psus can have good wattage but still doesnt give enough via the 12V Rail.

Just to add to the above post. You probably want a 25A 12V rail for that card. If you have a dual 12V rail power supply you want about 17A per rail. The X1k radeons like power.

Back