Apple Customer Care is nice - Very Long

RebelToRumble

Veteran X
I don't expect anyone to read all of this, just skip to the cliffs for the gist of it all. Basically, i'm happy with Apple's customer support.

Part 1

On August 31st I bought a base model 20" iMac, and a 2GB Black iPod engraved with my name. This was part of their "Major in Mac" promotion...get a qualifying apple computer and get 179$ off any iPod. Also, 100$ off the iMac for the Student Discount.

Here was the bill:
iMac - $1,500.00 (100$ off retail)
iPod - 179.00 (Free after rebate)
Tax - $106.68 (Didn't think they would charge tax from an online purchase :()
-----------------
Total - $1,884.68

It was going to end up being $1,705.68 after the iPod rebate.

Part 2

On September 5th, my iPod arrived.

On September 6th, i found out via TW that Apple released a new line-up of iMac computers, including an all new 24" iMac.

So i start to get sad, here i was reading about an all new iMac that has more ram, more cache, a different faster processor, more options, and even a new model..and my iMac hasn't even arrived to me yet.

On September 8th, my iMac arrived.

I started looking online and found that Apple has a price protection policy, which i found to be very helpful. Within a few hours of contacting Apple through their post-purchase help form, i was refunded 318$.

So, now my iMac cost $1,387.68. Very nice of Apple to even have such a policy, but the newer iMacs only cost $1,399.00 with the 100$ off student discount (plus tax, can't forget that they charge tax!) $95.26 Difference between my old iMac, and the new iMac w/ tax.

Part 3

I never opened the iMac, because i knew i wanted a new one. I did however open the iPod...before i found out about the new iMacs and shit.

I cut the UPC out of both of the iMac and the iPod, to start the rebate process. I couldn't return the iMac and get a new iMac because the new ones don't qualify for the free iPod.

So I had an amazing idea, I'll sell the iMac on ebay for less than presumed retail...and then buy the new iMac. The current iMacs for sale on eBay were going for 1,500+. eBayers hadn't yet realized that there was a new, better, cheaper model out yet. Good for me!

This turned out to be a failure, quickly cheaper iMacs came into ebay, and several members questioned me about why was i selling old shit when there's new exciting shit just online...i made fun of them for being faggots then though a little harder.

Part 4

I called Apple to attempt to persuade them into letting me return an unopened iMac with a removed UPC.

After was connected to a guy name Mason. He was very nice and understood my crappy situation, he put me on hold while he talk to his manager.

After some conversation, he eventually told me that he could get authorization to RMA an opened, engraved iPod. This is not normally allowed for customized products, but i told him i was going to get an upgraded newer iMac. He got authorization for me to RMA both of my purchases, with a complete full refund, including tax & such. Although i had to pay for return shipment. He was a very nice guy, and i will forever remember the help he gave me. I should have called Apple in the first place. They have excellent customer service.

Cliffs
Bought iMac & iPod combo (free iPod)
I open iPod, but don't open the iMac. Send UPC's off for rebate.
5 days after i purchased, new iMac line-up comes about
I complain to apple, get 318$ back.
I call Apple to inquire about returning an unopened iMac with a removed UPC
Mason (apple care tech person) Ends up letting me return my whole set, the opened engraved iPod, and the UPC removed iMac.
I am very happy.

I will end up spending a little more money than with my previous computer & 500$ total rebates, but the upgrades were far too good to pass up.

----------------------------------

Old base iMac:
2ghz Intel Core Duo (32 bit?)
2mb L2 Cache
512 mb Ram (up to 2 ghz)
128mb x1600 (256 upgrade)
$1,599.00

New base iMac:
2.16ghz Intel Core2 Duo - 64 bit (optional 2.33ghz processor)
4mb L2 Cache (2mb previously)
1024mb (512mb more ram than previous, and now up to 3 ghz)
128mb x1600 (256 upgrade)
$1,399.00

I'm getting the 20" 2.33ghz, 256 x1600 set - $1,670.00

Supposed to be 50% faster than the one i'm shipping back...worth all the trouble to me.

but you don't end up with an ipod?

and does it play tribes?

If it were not for this deal, i would probably have never bought an iPod. When i got it, i was kinda glad i got it for free. It didn't seem worth 180$.

I'd rather get one of these and be done with it.

I am very "fortunate" to have bought my iMac when i did...there's only a 10 day period where i could get the 318$ rebate (if i had kept it and the iPod) and only a 14 day period where i could RMA it.

I was surprised to have them offer to take the iPod back (already opened & engraved) so i could get my entire order refunded. I did make it clear i wanted to spend the refund on a newer iMac though.

Apple's been very quick and very generous with me on this. Makes me feel comfortable in spending the extra money for their systems.

but on the subject of apple customer service, having to sent my ibook back when it stopped working apple was AMAZING with it. Next day aird a box to me and payed for it to be next day aired back to them then back to me and great service personell (that speak english)

It dual boots XP, so it should run anything my current desktop runs.

I don't know how the x1600 will compare to my x800XTPE but since i'm not a game whore anymore i don't really mind.

A dual core 2.33g 64 processor with OSX is swell, especially in a 20" flat panel...so much more room....going from a 19" CRT and a large mid tower.

Last edited:
I was surprised to have them offer to take the iPod back (already opened & engraved) so i could get my entire order refunded. I did make it clear i wanted to spend the refund on a newer iMac though.

replacing the back plate on an ipod is a very trivial matter

replacing the back plate on an ipod is a very trivial matter

Well i didn't expect them to offer to do this when their return policy says custom equipment cannot be returned. It's open, used, and engraved...they're not taking 10% off like their open box policy states either.

I'm happy :)

Well i didn't expect them to offer to do this when their return policy says custom equipment cannot be returned. It's open, used, and engraved...they're not taking 10% off like their open box policy states either.

I'm happy :)

you think it costs them more than a dollar to put another peice of metal on the back of a returned ipod?

it's not like it's a precious metal

you think it costs them more than a dollar to put another peice of metal on the back of a returned ipod?

it's not like it's a precious metal

You're arguing for no reason.

my computers never have customer service because I build them myself.

That's fantastic. I've built every computer me and my family have used [at home], just like 90% of eveyone here.

Last edited:
I'd rather get one of these and be done with it.

Lol, that player you linked is terrible. No playlists or anything. It plays songs in the order they are on the flash drive. You can only go forward or back. I got one sitting on my desk doing nothing, AND an ipod nano. The ipods are much better for user interface.

You can read more about the knockoffs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_MP4/MTV_player
They are really terrible.

Lol, that player you linked is terrible. No playlists or anything. It plays songs in the order they are on the flash drive. You can only go forward or back. I got one sitting on my desk doing nothing, AND an ipod nano. The ipods are much better for user interface.

Does it not support reading and organizing of ID3 tags, or whatever they are?

I didn't setup a playlist on my iPod, i just picked a album and played it, then picked another.

Does it not support reading and organizing of ID3 tags, or whatever they are?

I didn't setup a playlist on my iPod, i just picked a album and played it, then picked another.

That "MP4" player doesn't support any of that.

Oh, and it plays videos, when they are uncompressed and converted to a series of still pictures. In other words, really, really big.

They die if you unplug them wrong.

..etc...

Ahh, thanks for the info...I'm not a big audiophile so i don't really care...my sister wants a iPod but i dont think she needs something she doesn't know how to use or anything...all her friends use the oldschool file sharing programs that riddle their computers with virusses and such, i'm trying to keep their pc away from that.

Back