Need Help Major PC problems

Bologna Joe

Veteran X
So my brother just got his new PC on Friday and the thing hasn't worked since day 1. Basically he gets either a BSOD or crashes to his desktop when trying to run games. He's tried a bunch of different games and they either work extremely well or crash to the desktop or bsod after a couple of mins.

He has called tech support many times and they tell him to try new drivers which he has.

He's running

Asus M2N32-sli deluxe AM2 mobo
AMD AM2 64 X2 4600+
4 X 512 PC6400 DDR2/800 Corsair XMS2 Xtreme
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB
Coolmaster Liquid Cooling System

The comp is an absolute beast but won't run anything graphic intensive. He's tried variations of vid drivers from the 91.31 to 91.45

His 3dmark05 scored 12,021 which seemed good when compared to my 3800x2 7800gtx comp. In most cases however 3dmark also bsods on him.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to try I would really appreciate the knowledge.

Thanks in advance

BJ

I would assume he's not OCing anything.
With my ATI card I had to turn fastwrites off or games would crash.
I also had to fiddle with the agp speed, but that should not be a concern for him.

No overclocking of any kind. This kid has had 2 comps die on him over the last 4 years including an Alienware and custom built gamming rig.

This was a high school graduation present that was suppose to solve all his gamming issues so he isn't touching anything on it unless its a driver update.

I'd find something akin to ATI Tray Tools for the Nvidia and then putz around with the settings.
Possibly silly questions ahead:
Dirty power?
How did he have other pc's die on him?

His PSU is

Aspire 680W BEAST POWER ATX power supply

We think that since he moved to Florida the constant brownouts/blackouts killed his old hardware on him. With the custom built comp I was running identical parts and never had a problem. he is now on battery backup in a better powered area in a brand new house with extra surge protection added by the electric company so power shouldn't be an issue for him now.

BJ

he wanted 2 x 1gb but the place was out of 1gb dimms so he took 4x512. They're suppose to send 2x1gb once they get them in off backorder

Back