[BF2] Does anyone else have this problem?

JustinCase

Contributor
Veteran XX
Whenever I try to sign in to my account or even create a new one, the game immediatly stops responding. The background freezes with the music still playing and I have to go to the task manager to end the program.

I'm on a fresh install of windows and have updated the game to v1.3

Video card is a 9800pro with latest cat drivers.

Mine does that, but it comes back and says I put in the wrong password, then I can log in and it works fine.

It has worked before so I don't know wtf is up

The password is correct. It will sit there not responding until I manually end it :(

like I said, this is a fresh install on a fresh install of xp

everything brand new and patched to v1.3 with the ea downloader

Infinite said:
yeah, it was cause by my firewall asking for permission to let BF2 access the interweb
ok then it probably has something to do with my school internet connection

what ports do I need to have them open?

I started to have some issues after I updated my video drivers. It would start crashing and everything.

i know what it is i know what it is
i had same issue after a reinstall...the online shortcut automaticly makes you try to join a server that it finds for you....you have to disable this option in the shortcut aka (bf2.ex -autojoin 1) only set 1 to 0 i forget the actual command though.

also try renaming all the videos in the bf2 mod folder and they wont play and slow down your machine and load into memory for a faster startup

i have a 9800 pro and have NOTHING but problems with bf2 graphically. Did everything I could think of including reinstalls, reformats, new drivers, tweaks, ect. I just ended up quitting bc the 9800 is a piece of shit when it comes to bf2.

not sure if this will fix the problem, but, it's a good post for anyone that plays BF

to decrease "login" time, erase all of your "favorite" servers that you don't use..
some servers may be down that are in your favorites, and it wont log you in until it pings them.,

CxD said:
i have a 9800 pro and have NOTHING but problems with bf2 graphically. Did everything I could think of including reinstalls, reformats, new drivers, tweaks, ect. I just ended up quitting bc the 9800 is a piece of shit when it comes to bf2.

I played the game for over a half a year on a 9600 pro just fine, then switch to a 9800 pro for a few months, no problems with graphics. You have to run with lower settings but the game worked just fine.

yeah, sounds like a firewalling issue to me... it's timing out trying to contact the auth server. If you're on a school connection, you're likely boned - chances of getting firewall exemptions would be pretty slim (I'd imagine).

If you do have some control over the firewalling, I'd just google bf2 firewall ports or something similar.

Dangerdoggie said:
I played the game for over a half a year on a 9600 pro just fine, then switch to a 9800 pro for a few months, no problems with graphics. You have to run with lower settings but the game worked just fine.

I didn't have any troubles witn my 9800 until patch 1.12 I think it was, where everything started looking terrible (though it was still functional, so I'm guessing it was intended). Now with the latest patch I have CTD/bluescreen issues :(

Hmm played 1.2 on 9800 pro, I did stick with older video drivers 5.12's I believe.

1.3 servers crash and after the "There's a problem with your connection" I get dropped back to the BF2 menu if I wait long enough, I usually just disconnect though. I've not had any bluescreen type crashes ever, that sounds like a hardware problem.

Back