[MotoGP] US Grand Prix is this weekend at Laguna Seca!

Special---K

Contributor
Veteran XX
505_motogp.logo.web.jpg
The season so far.....

For the first time in his career, American Nicky Hayden leads the championship standings. Hayden, heading into his home turf, holds a 26 point lead over Five-Time World Champion Valentino Rossi as we approach the US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca, California.

470337_25029.jpg

Hayden

470343_2997.jpg

Rossi

Rossi began this season with the most dismal start since his rookie year. His first half of the season consisted of a first race crash out, a mechanical failure leading to a DNF, and a practice session crash resulting in broken bones in his hand and foot. Yet despite all the bad luck Rossi has come roaring back to win four races and has moved up to second in the standings.

This week will be, without question, the most crucial race of the season thus far. Hayden won his first ever MotoGP race at Laguna one year ago but was greatly helped by the fact that most of the other riders in the field had never seen the track before. This year, the playing field will be much more level. Track modifications have changed some of the track layout with the purpose of increased safety for the big bikes. Also, Hayden's rivals will be much more familiar with the rest of the track. Rossi finished in 3rd place last year but he also managed to post his fastest time around the track on the last lap of the race. All indications point to him being even faster this year.

The pressure will be on Hayden to repeat last year's performance and increase his lead.
1nicky-vi.jpg

But Valentino Rossi isn't the only competition on the track.
Continuing his explosive rookie season, Dani Pedrosa will be looking for his third GP class win during his first ever race in the US. Pedrosa, who is Hayden's Repsol Honda teammate, has absolutely stunned race fans and fellow riders alike with his debut year. He is curently in third position just 3 points behind Rossi and 29 points behind Hayden, well within striking distance.
447418_67923.jpg

Pedrosa

Here are some other highlights of the season so far.

Catalunya - Spanish Grand Prix with a huge crash at the first turn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2-6ncwDLhA&search=motogp catalunya crash

Mugello - Italian Grand Prix where Valentino Rossi and Loris Capirossi battle it out to win the race on their home turf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8QhjO5A-o&search=mugello 2006

Assen - Dutch Grand Prix where two Americans, Nicky Hayden and Colin Edwards nearly kill each other at the last turn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35wgRzeqst8&search=assen 2006

Don't miss the USGP this Sunday!
Laguna%20Seca%20Aerial.jpg

www.motogp.com

edit: links fixed!

Last edited:
-JJJ- said:
Love these threads. However, your links are the broke. "The url contained a malformed video id"

thx

they are fixed now

Race will be broadcast on the Speed Channel just like last year.
www.speedtv.com

Tickets:

General admission tickets will be available as listed: 3-Day $100, 2-Day (Sat/sun) $90, Friday $35, Saturday $50, Sunday $55. General Tent only Camping is still available for Toro Park and will be $60 per night (admission ticket required for duration of event in order to camp).

www.redbullusgrandprix.com

check ebay and craig's list since I believe pre-sale tickets are gone

my old roommate is on Nicky's pit crew.

i saw him on tv last year giving nicky a high five after winning laguna, pretty funny. just randomly turn the tv on and there is your roommate.

You guys hear how much Rossi made in the last year? I saw it on forbes top celebrities. They said he made $30M from May of last year to may of this year... never imagined he'd make that much (I know some is from endorsments, etc. but still)

I'm not going this year as I couldn't plan for it ahead of time

I will enjoy watching it on the big screen though

wish it was in HD...can't WAIT till MotoGP is in HD

someday

I've been a couple times. Always fun going to Ducati island and the other vendors. You can get gear real cheap there.

my friend works for red bull so i was gonna go with him for free but he didnt get picked to go this year like he did last year

i wanna go, but i cant afford tickets/motorcycle parking/pit passes/grandstand seats

which is what you need for the whole experience.

3 of my brother's buddy's are going... 2 of them that live around here (boston) went out to visit the one who had moved to washington state a while ago, and the 3 of them are going this weekend...

/me is fucking jealous

Heh, i was just about to post the times myself.

I would kick my mother to see Colin Edwards top Hayden. Hayden has amazing skills, but I just like Colin more. I'd kick my grandmother to see Casey Stoner win.

1. Kenny Roberts Jr USA Team Roberts 1min 23.951 sec
2. Colin Edwards USA Camel Yamaha Team 1min 24.310 sec
3. Casey Stoner AUS Honda LCR 1min 24.360 sec
4. John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1min 24.608 sec
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Camel Yamaha Team 1min 24.674 sec
6. Marco Melandri ITA Fortuna Honda 1min 24.698 sec
7. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1min 24.739 sec
8. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team 1min 24.943 sec
9. Carlos Checa SPA Tech 3 Yamaha 1min 25.100 sec
10. Sete Gibernau SPA Ducati Marlboro Team 1min 25.150 sec
11. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team 1min 25.311 sec
12. Loris Capirossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 1min 25.614 sec