[AFN] Oblivion ?

Austforbeer

Veteran XX
Is it possible to recharge the procs on your weapons after they're gone? PC version if that makes a difference.

BTW, being a theif/assassin rocks

get soul trap spell. Get a soul gem. Cast soul trap on enemy and kill it in time limit. Now use the soul gem with soul in your inventory.

I believe certain Mages Guild vendors can also recharge them for a cost. Look through the services buttons on all the vendor NPCs in one. I think there's one in the Cheydinhal guild.

BTW, while I know what "proc" refers to, how did such a ridiculous term come about?

actually, that's the one part of the game i cheated on. I got one grand soul gem with a grand soul and then just cheatingly made about 200 of them.

i also cheated here. I gave myself 1000 Black Soul Gems (the biggest I think) and stuck them in my house and carry around a few when I crawl.

erm... proc doesn't even fit there. (i am not a D&D nerd... so feel free to correct)

Programmed Random OCcurance.

sure it could relate to magic.. but the charge in a weapon and it then casting said spell (i.e fire damage) isn't random in oblivion. Not when you have charge in said weapon.

yes, use a soul gem on it, or alternately head to a mages guild - you can pay some members to recharge them. For the soul gem method, the gem itself needs a soul trapped in it. To do that, use a 'soul trap' spell on something (non humanoid) before you kill it, and when it dies (assuming the trap effect is still active) its soul will be captured in the smallest soul gem that will accomodate it. Different levels of souls contain different amounts of energy to charge the weapon with. Using a soul gem will consume it.

You can also use soul gems in the arcane university (when you've gained access to it by joining the mages guild) to enchant existing weapons with a variety of spells.. Again, more powerful effects can be achieved with greater levels of soul.

There are also a few other things about them worth mentioning, but worthy of spoiler tags:
Spoiler

Spoiler

The enchanting/soul gem system is rather dumbed down from Morrowind, where you could apply any spell effect you knew to any item you had, restricted by your enchanting skill, the type of soul, and the item you were enchanting. Same thing for spellmaking. You could choose any spell type, any target, magnitude, range.. even constant effects. Much more interesting system, that fit well with the 'openness' of the game.

It's kinda a pity they ditched it for Oblivion.

PS: I'd assumed he was referring to a 'specproc'.. which in my MUDding days I knew as a "Special Procedure", and generally referred to spells cast by weapon strikes... an axe with a 'vorpal proc', for example (mighty goddamn weapon, that).

either way pointless nerdy reference to a forum full of more generalised nerds, then hard core RPG/MUD/etc nerds.

I had a few of those soul gems they did the trick, thanks. I have a sweet bow but it ran out of CHARGES. Perhaps proc was the wrong term. Leave it up to TW to complain about how something nerdy is then fill up a page arguing about it.

To be honest, after a while I just gave up on enchanted weapons.. with a good strength, good stealth, and some constant effect chameleon gear, one-shotting bad guys from sneak attacks was not at all an uncommon event, even with a plain old daedric longsword.

When it came to bows, if I needed something down in a hurry, I'd usually use them in conjunction with a poison, and I had a brilliant one I'd put together that had a paralysis, silence, drained fatigue, and did two different types of damage over time.. given that they'd be out cold for a few seconds after being hit, a lot of things would be dead before they even recovered, and even the toughest guys would sometimes get up and come at me, but drop dead before they arrived.

you get/make black soul gems at an altar. You find it in one of the mage quests.

as to the grand soul gems... find them, buy them, steal them.

Back