Computer Help

Whoop

Veteran XX
Mother Board: KM400-M2
Processor: Athlon XP 3000
Ram: 512 Kingston DDR2 333

1. Ordered new parts, put it together everything worked.
2. Put it in the corner for a month, and forgot about it
3. Hit the button today, and nothing happened
4. Switched the power supply, didn't help (the fan started for a second, but stopped) [maybe this was a short?]
5. Switch it back to the old power supply, still didn't work
6. Switched the jumpers randomly guessing if that was the one that might turn it on
7. Changed the jumpers to reset the CMOS
8. The computer would now turn on, but it wouldn't post.
9. We tested all the ram and we know the ram is good
10. We had a keyboard/monitor attached (and tried swapping them).
11. We can not confirm if the process is working.

So i'm guessing the BIOS died, the motherboard shit the bed, or the proc is toast.

Any ideas on what to test?

Make sure none of your unused molex connectors are touching the case, I've seen them ground out (giving you the quick fan spin).

Bullseye said:
Make sure none of your unused molex connectors are touching the case, I've seen them ground out (giving you the quick fan spin).
Oft times this can be fixed by performing a "three inch repair". (Pick up the PC, hold it above the ground approximately 3 inches, and drop it. ;))

If the mobo isn't grounding, remove everything from it except the PSU connector and try to bring it up. If you get a series of beeps, power off, put the CPU back in, power up. Repeat, adding components until you either get nothing or a post beep in this order:

CPU
RAM
video
NIC

We tried all of this outside of the case on a wooden table. Video and NIC are on board. RAM is comfirmed to be working, CPU is unknown.

No beeps.

Last edited:
Back