Have I outgrown games, or do they just suck now?

Obibun

Veteran XV
I actually can't figure this one out.

No games out there can keep my interest like games used to...

Couple years ago I played Warcraft 3 all the time, months at a time.

And before that, Starcraft.

and Tribes.. and to some extent Tribes 2..

And of course we all played CS back in the day.
I even got into some of the mods for HL pretty heavily.. I remember spending a lot of time playing Firearms and even Frontline Force.

But christ.. I've really, really been searching for something to play lately (After work I'm just tired as hell and have 2-3 hours to do nothing...) and I can't find anything.

I'm starting to wonder whether I've just outgrown games. Nothing can grasp my attention to the full extent these games used to..

And I figure.. these mods they're coming out with for HL2 (Sourceforts.. Plan of Attack.. etc).. they've got to be comparable to the ones I used to play, at least in quality, right?

So why can't I play them for more than an hour or two before I get bored?

The same goes for all these games lately.. Civ IV held me for about a week.. Oblivion was a couple of days..

And MMORPGs these days suck, wow. I can't get into any of them, they're just so cookie-cutter. There's no originality or new concepts in them anymore.

Have I really outgrown gaming, or what? Games these days can't be THAT much worse than ones that I used to play..

Cliffs-
- Games don't take over my life like they used to
- I get bored of them fast now
- Is it because they suck or because I'm getting older?
- Compare playing HL mods forever to not playing HL2 mods hardly at all.. even though they're just as good (if not better) in terms of quality
- I think I'm outgrowing them

Last edited:
they suck, havent really gotten into any game since nfl 2k5 I only got into that because I had a group of people I played which felt like the old tribes community.

Games are still fun, but not as fun as they used to be. I attribute this to the fact that I'm getting older/smarter and way more critical about everything.

find a game to play with some friends

if i didnt play games with guys i know irl i probably wouldnt play at all

I think I've outgrown them too. Haven't touched anything in months, and even then it was just animal crossing on DS. Prior to that, almost a year (got maybe half through metroid prime 2 and got bored)

No real interest in dropping several hundred $ on an x360 and some games that I might casually play for a couple hours a week, when I could go spend time with my dog in the mountains instead

it's called getting older
oblivion was fun but man is that time consuming
now I just fire up cs:s every now and again to fuck around and kill stuff

actually both cods were good

No sweat.
It's not an age thing or me and the likes of Cheater and Yankee wouldn't be here, right?
Games are teh suck lately.
We have also become jaded by many instances of corporate shanannigans.
Availabilty has also ruined the "choose wisely" care in which we used to spend our cash.
Now, we can willy nilly download everything and be bored immediately. Sorta like working in the candy store, you lose your taste for sweets when they are so readily available.

I think it's just that you have seen most of the genres and innovations in games in the past, and the new games seem like just a rehash of the old ones with better graphics. It's hard to stay attached to such games and get addicted.

But yeah, I haven't been playing games much lately either. I like it actually most of the time.

Bean said:
I think I've outgrown them too. Haven't touched anything in months, and even then it was just animal crossing on DS. Prior to that, almost a year (got maybe half through metroid prime 2 and got bored)

No real interest in dropping several hundred $ on an x360 and some games that I might casually play for a couple hours a week, when I could go spend time with my dog in the mountains instead
For some reason that last sentence sounded a bit weird :p

Back