Restaurant ettiquette...bringing your lunch

Special---K

Contributor
Veteran XX
So I've been on a healthy/money saving venture lately and I've been making all my food at home. This involves bringing a lunch to work everyday.

Now the problem is that I used to go out to lunch to various places with my work buds almost everyday and I still like to. Sitting at your desk or eating lunch by yourself sucks.

Anyway, we've gone a few cafes that have outdoor seating so we don't get any problems and I've taken my lunch into Quizno's once or twice. I'm wary about taking it to an actual sit-down restaurant, however. I'm sure the staff and manager wouldn't appreciate it. Now generally there are 3 or 4 f us so I wouldn't think bringing a bag lunch would be a huge deal since it's not like I would be taking up space that a paying customer would use as we all pile into a booth but I dunno.

What would you say the protocol is on this? I shouldn't have to be ostracized for brining my lunch to work but I don't wanna be a dick to the restaurant workers.

No one cares. I've worked or bartended at probably half a dozen places in my life and I assure you that no one actually cares.

Special---K said:
So I've been on a healthy/money saving venture lately and I've been making all my food at home. This involves bringing a lunch to work everyday.

Now the problem is that I used to go out to lunch to various places with my work buds almost everyday and I still like to. Sitting at your desk or eating lunch by yourself sucks.

Anyway, we've gone a few cafes that have outdoor seating so we don't get any problems and I've taken my lunch into Quizno's once or twice. I'm wary about taking it to an actual sit-down restaurant, however. I'm sure the staff and manager wouldn't appreciate it. Now generally there are 3 or 4 f us so I wouldn't think bringing a bag lunch would be a huge deal since it's not like I would be taking up space that a paying customer would use as we all pile into a booth but I dunno.

What would you say the protocol is on this? I shouldn't have to be ostracized for brining my lunch to work but I don't wanna be a dick to the restaurant workers.

I would kick you out of my restaurant you bum!

Buy a drink. Or just tip more.
And don't lay your hello kitty forks and spoons everywhere, and hide your barney lunch bag.

Some people I work with do this a lot - it feels kinda odd sitting at a table next to a guy eating from a paper bag. However it doesn't seem to bother them and no one has ever said anything or even given them an odd look, so go for it.

I don't wanna buy a drink...the whole point is to save money. I figure If I'm eating with 2 or 3 paying customers no one is gonna say shit

Yankee said:
I'd be more worried about some chick seeing me and thinking "what a cheap bastard"

not worried since she'd have to be peeking around my humungous cock to get a glimpse of my bag lunch anyway

If I were the manager, I'd toss you out for bringing other food in. You can sit there and just get a drink or something, but bringing in the outside food is just insulting (and who knows what kind of vermin are in your food anyway). If our food isn't good enough for you, then neither is our seating.

Most people wouldn't care though.

SharpShooter said:
JESUS CHRIST... I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: NO ONE FUCKING CARES!

i've seen someone get kicked out of a restaurant before (in outdoor seating too) bringing in food from a fastfood place

this was in the collegetown area tho, so i guess college restaurants are greedier?

I go to the U. of Kansas.. just about as collegetown as you can get and as I said.. worked at numerous bars and restaurants and no one cares. I guess we're just a nice lil' town.

Back