[Hiking] Shoe recommendations?

ZodiaK

Veteran XV
Boot thread reminded me of some upcoming shopping I have to do: I need new footwear for my hiking adventures as I'm having a fairly aggressive partially amphibious hike upcoming. I know there are quite a few avid hiking fans on the boards so I figured I'd ask here rather than relying on footwear rating site plants.

I'm looking at Salomon Karmas, but I'm open to all suggestions.

My preferences:
- Medium Comfort (I have a bum ankle and the "walking on clouds" shoes tend to cause me to roll it under stress)
- Price preferably under or at $100
- Relatively light (Under 12 oz)
- Breathability is a must.
- Quick drying/Water resistent
- Excellent water grip

-OptimusPrime- said:
safe to say i'm the hiking expert on this fourm.
use regular running shoes. One lb on your foot is 10 on your back.
as a hiking expert you would recommend everyday running shoes for a moderately amphibious multiday hike?

I wear running shoes, they dry quick and have enough traction. They also seem lighter then the "offroad" running shoes. I haven't had ankle problems though, which may be an issue.

When you say "multiday" will you be carrying 50+ lbs on your back then?

Ludicrous Speed said:
I wear running shoes, they dry quick and have enough traction. They also seem lighter then the "offroad" running shoes. I haven't had ankle problems though, which may be an issue.

When you say "multiday" will you be carrying 50+ lbs on your back then?
Most running shoes don't drain water well, and my feet WILL be fully submerged at multiple points.

As far as weight: I haven't done a prep-pack to see what all I'm taking but I'm planning on no more than 35lbs worth the gear on my back.

it's really hard to make good recommendations for hiking shoes, since everybody's feet are different. The best way to find the right one is to go to your local hiking shop and try a bunch on until you find the one that is most comfortable. You don't want to go on someone elses recommendation and find out that the shoes are uncomfortable.

ZodiaK said:
as a hiking expert you would recommend everyday running shoes for a moderately amphibious multiday hike?
yes, I have completed the PCT entily in shoes. The longer the hike the more shoes beat boots. Don't even get "off road" running shoes. Get street running shoes. They are lighter and work better.

If you are going to waddle around the corner from your car then boots are better.

All the 1337 hikers use shoes.

I would much rather wear running shoes than those karmas you posted. I highly doubt they will put mileage on well.

Socks will probably play a huge issue also, bring a bunch of extra pairs.

How deep of water are you talking? If it won't be over ankle height get a good pair of heavy duty hiking boots. They should be waterproof.

ZodiaK said:
Every thought about walking on mossy rocks in water with about a weeks worth the gear on your back?

Shoes really arnt requiered if you think about it. Dont be such a pussy.

I love my Saloman Revo GCS. They're gor-tex, some of the comfiest boots I've ever worn, extremely light (3 lbs together), and very durable heavy-duty hiking boots. They're pretty expensive (mine were a birthday/graduation gift) but they're the only not cheap gear I use and have nothing but praise for them. Very waterproof, but also breathable: I don't know how easily they dry, but if you build a fire you should be fine. As for the grip, I've bushwacked about 3 miles down a river in them with relative ease. Obviously try them on before you buy.

http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewItem/5/18/4137/

Last edited:
Reggs said:
Shoes really arnt requiered if you think about it. Dont be such a pussy.
i just had an epiphany, i can just strap foam swords to my feet and save money on this retarded shoe idea.

Back