Japanese Music

Reggs

Veteran XX
I hardly like any of it for a few reasons. My gf has a lot of it. Im on her comp now since mine is in the bedroom and shes still sleeping. there are a few musitions however that I enjoy. Off the top of my head they are Maaya Sakamoto, and Utada.

Utada did the Kingdom Hearts song and also did a CD in english for America that had very catchy music but downright insane lyrics. Im not going to say the lyrics are bad since they add so much to the charm. She grew up in NYC and speaks english and japanese with normal accents for both, however when she sings in japanes it's just different. Maaya Sakamoto sounds like euro music that just happens to speak the japanese language without a japanese accent.

Most japanese music reflects japanese society becuase there is vertualy no creativity.

Why the fuck did I even click this thread? I mean.. I saw "Reggs" right there as the starter, and still checked it out.

You know you're bored when you do that.

Reggs said:
Most japanese music reflects japanese society becuase there is vertualy no creativity.

Ryuichi Sakamoto/YMO, Nobukazu Takemura, Fantastic Plastic Machine, Cornelius.

Start with that you fucking retard.

Are you stupid? Japanese music is like any other nation's music. There's differing varieties.

It's not our fault your gf listens to shitty music.

Try some 椎名林檎 or 東京事変.
Ulfurus or Chara.
Brilliant Green or Cocco.

There's some good shit from that dumb island.

Arachno said:
Are you stupid? Japanese music is like any other nation's music. There's differing varieties.

It's not our fault your gf listens to shitty music.

Try some 椎名林檎 or 東京事変.
Ulfurus or Chara.
Brilliant Green or Cocco.

There's some good shit from that dumb island.

She has all the english you mentioned. Coco is pretty good. The rest all the same stuff, and most of hte ulfrus stuff sounds like what they are playing in the new Skittles commercials.

reggsvision.gif

You mean Japanese music like "Twiggy" by Pizzicato Five?
Or like blowing on a gay ocarina and hitting a tin cup?

I have a couple of japanese music thingies... Polysics (it's okay albeit a bit crazy) and some compositions by Joe Hisashi that are very good.

i had the impression that japan was a creative country.. thats why they have cool manufacturing businesses and america has mcdonalds and walmart

Voidsinger said:
Fantastic Plastic Machine

i had no idea they were japanese. My friend sent me an album with My Name is Bruce on it and its the catchiest damn song ever.

also:

boris
gauze
melt banana
toxic holocaust
sabbat
shina ringo
polysics
gism
the boredoms

were/are all amazing bands from japan. I'll think of some more later. They take every single genre and make it ridiculous in a good way.

I don't really care much for Japanese music at large (outside of video game soundtracks, because I am a massive geek for that stuff), but your girlfriend is listening to some rather stupid, non-representative stuff.

I should know, it's pretty much all my sister listens to. Her entire CD collection is like Morning Musume/BoA/Maaya Sakamoto/Dream/you name a disgustingly bubbly J-pop group & album/single, she owns it. She is truly the Queen of Suki Suki Raabu Raabu I Love You.

minus a couple of people like Shina Ringo, j-pop is even worse than most american pop.

it has absolutely no musical substance.

AaronTheD: Very ture, but at least it makes for more fascinating fluff TV than American pop idols. The stupid and bizarre shit they do on Japanese TV spots to plug their latest singles are just a goddamn lawlercaust.

Back