Look what I just bought for the killing of small mammals.

Decided to say what the hell and try the new .17 HMR styled rifle.

565_mrblackrd.jpg

565_DSC_0025-2.JPG

Popped a ground hog today within 1 hour of getting it (what luck).

The things have less mass than a .22 but their ballistic tipping and full metal jacket allow for unusually good accuracy for rim-fire. Also I found that the things leave very nasty looking entry and exit wounds because the bastards fragment quickly and effectivly. The fucker I nailed today took one in the chest and simply dropped dead. In the past with a .22 LR I found that semi-automatic fire en-masse was the best way to bring em down.

Luckily this thing is semi-auto too. I dont doubt i could turn a 'hog into hamburger if I really wanted to.

My war against the wistlepigs continues yet.

pic of the ammo if you havnt seen the new shit yet.

17bullet.jpg

17hmrcs.jpg

The bullet fragments in a small rodent? Like if you shot a rabbit you would get to eat shards of metal?

hay guys, I just got a new pewpew gun and I shot animalz dead LOLZ. Now I'm gunna put dead animalz in my sister Lorlien's dresser. LOLZ.

Last edited:
Phantred said:
The bullet fragments in a small rodent? Like if you shot a rabbit you would get to eat shards of metal?

They are small enough to be cleaned easily enough, the problem with eating from these things is more likely to be related to their habit of turning surrounding meat into hamburger.

Barbarian said:
1) Do you live in Kentucky, and eat squirrels?

2) What does a .17 do to a person?

Not much more or less than a .22 LR. Both usually exert around 80~ pounds of force upon impact. The .22 will usually go deeper and may exit while the .17 HMR tends to chew up the area it hits alot more instead of going for supreme penetration.

On a person getting hit in the chest with either of these would be bad news... It aint a .45 but your average person will go down.

ICFire said:
You don't hunt huh.

Rabbits are hunted with shotguns as are most small game.

They only things we every hunted with a shotgun were birds, for obvious reasons. Although i do faintly remember eating a rabbit that my dad had shot with a shotgun. Biting pellets suck.

Absolutely no reason not to hunt a rabbit with a 22.

...this really sounds like something i heard off of a cop show

the rapist probably was picked on by bigger kids and probably abused and killed small animals for pleasure

Phantred said:
They only things we every hunted with a shotgun were birds, for obvious reasons. Although i do faintly remember eating a rabbit that my dad had shot with a shotgun. Biting pellets suck.

Absolutely no reason not to hunt a rabbit with a 22.

I was was going to eat a rabbit and had to choose a weapon I would take a .22 LR with CCI Stinger, more than one shot on a bunny is over-kill. I dont think any other combination would give you a cleaner kill with as much good meat. :shrug:

Back