So is there some trick to getting an Antec psu to work?

Excel

Contributor
Veteran XV
Or am I just fucked. Brand new Antec truepower II, and the bitch wont fire up. Checked power button connecter, it was fine and I reseated/flipped it/stroked its balls and pleaded and its still not working. Its on 115v, rear switch on the psu itself is on, powerstrip its plugged into is on and functioning. Its replacing an Ultra-X Connect PSU that was working, but I suspected it was behind the infrequent crashes I've been having on my new rig.

I really dont want to have to fucking RMA this thing, goddamnit.

Excel - grab a paper clip, bend so that it's a U, and insert into the green and black pins on the 24pin connector. Any black will do, but there's only one green. That should simulate a power signal, so the PSU should turn on. If it doesn't, wiggle the paper clip a bit - some PSU's have weird power bounce sensing.

If the fans twitch or move in the slightest, you're getting some power. Obviously if the thing fires up like normal...

crouton said:
Excel - grab a paper clip, bend so that it's a U, and insert into the green and black pins on the 24pin connector. Any black will do, but there's only one green. That should simulate a power signal, so the PSU should turn on. If it doesn't, wiggle the paper clip a bit - some PSU's have weird power bounce sensing.

If the fans twitch or move in the slightest, you're getting some power. Obviously if the thing fires up like normal...
Every once in a while, I'll see the fans jump on the psu and the cpu fan when Im unplugging and flipping and pushing buttons.... and there is no fucking way I'm doing the paperclip thing, not even if The Ghost of Christmas Catalogs comes and tells me its on the level.

if the old PSU was working, albeit suspect... swap it out and see if the system powers up. if it does.... Antec is toast

The paperclip trick ain't gonna fuck shit up. Seriously. I've done that at numerous jobs with numerous different PSUs, no harm done PERIOD.

Excel said:
This is TW, so there is a better than even chance you are trying to trick me.
Just google it dude, it's legit.

Though personally I wouldn't use a paperclip, you CAN jumper the ATX connectors to get the PSU to start.

Is everything already hooked up and it's still not working or are you just trying it individually without your other components?

Excel said:
Every once in a while, I'll see the fans jump on the psu and the cpu fan when Im unplugging and flipping and pushing buttons.... and there is no fucking way I'm doing the paperclip thing, not even if The Ghost of Christmas Catalogs comes and tells me its on the level.
well this is the tried and true method of testing if your PSU is dead. unplug it and turn its power switch off, insert clip, then turn it on again. if it fires up you successfully hotwired your PSU and it works, if not RMA it

Yeah, do the paper clip thing, that's how you test a water cooler before firing it up for the first time. So it's ok to fire the PS by itself.

Check the 24 pin connector from the PS that goes to the MB, pins may have been pushed back. This happened to me on my build a couple years ago. I flipped the switch and nothing. See pic of my FX53 build.
http://www.nogodforme.com/images/DSC03102.JPG
Push each wire of the connector all the way down and make sure it stays there. I bet a pin is pushed back and you don't see it.

My brother did the paper clip thing on my pc, too. I was worried he was gonna fuck it up, too, but it worked.

I tossed a 480W Antec because the damn thing wouldn't boot up. Bought a Coolermaster 450W and guess what, it powered up just fine and didn't require me finger fucking it with a paperclip. I tried that Antec 3 different times in 2 different computers before throwing it out, fuck Antec.

Weird.. a co-worker asked me to fix her computer a few weeks ago, thing would not power on at all so I assumed it was the PSU. I went out and bougt an Antec PSU and put it in, and nothing. Power the unit on and nothing happens - fans don't even move a hair. I took the PSU back, told her it must be the motherboard and she should RMA it. A week later she gets word that it was just the PSU that was bad..

WTF I thought Antec was a good brand, is this a recent thing?

Back