[TW Car experts] [Uh oh] Brake Trouble

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
So it's a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager, just in case there's a tiny chance there's something particular about the car.

Just took it on a trip from MD up to New York (and back), after not taking it on any extended trips for a while and leaving it in a state of mild neglect. Everything worked fine, and the only thing of note was that it had to make a hard brake when a deer jumped out on the road.

...Only driving it this morning, the brakes made a strange creaking noise when stopping one time. Then a strange smell occured, something akin to burning rubber only slightly different. The smell may have been just a lingering odor in the city that I drove through, but it's worth noting. Sometimes when pushing the brake pedal down, there's an odd noice that can only be described as squishing.

I don't know what's wrong, and obviously when it's something as serious as brakes you don't fuck around. But I have to be somewhere rather soon and it will be a major hindrance to take public transportation. It's only a 10 minute drive, but I've got horrible images of brake failure conjuring themselves in my head.

Make jokes if you want, but it's rather serious, at least to me. Does this sound like something to anybody? All constructive opinions and comments are welcome.

Cliffs:
-Car goes on long trip after relative neglect, one really hard brake had to be made
-Day after, brakes make odd scraping sound once, possible strange smell once, and strange squish noise when pushing pedal sometimes. No failure though.
-Okay to drive for 10 minutes, or am I stupid for thinking I might risk it?

You might have air in the brake lines, or something worse. Just take it to the machanic. Not worth the risk of driving one day and finding out your brakes don't work.

sounds like the brake pad is worn through, possible scrapping the rotor. if that is what is happening, you might have to replace your rotors as well as brake pads - or at least have them machined.

if the brake pad is worn through the sound will be a distinct metal scrapping sound

if it is that may be you have caught it early enough

new strutts
new pads
basically new everything

had the same shit happen to my old car, continued to ride it because i didnt really care, eventually it started grinding so hard it wouldn't move when i took my foot off the brakes

at that point i had to take it in

Last edited:
I have to get my rotors machined :/

I was comming down the mountains and they shake violently now. Theres $300 down the drain.

Back