*sigh* problems with torrents

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
So, I'm using BitComet and the torrent's health is at almost 3000%. 15 connected seeders and 59 connected peers.

I'm getting 6 kb/s down and about 20 kb/s up.

I know what you're all thinking, this moron hasn't opened up the ports on his router... but I have. The torrent's been active for about a half hour too, so I figured it would have picked up by now. Actually, all of my torrents have been very slow.

I know BitComet was blacklisted by a bunch of private torrent sites, but this is a public torrent. So what gives?

zomgtorrentpls.jpg

Excel said:
Actually, we're thinking this moron isnt using Azureus.
pffff Azureus is way overrated. Java? What, did a middle-schooler program it?

I'm checking out uTorrent (microTorrent) as it seems to be the best torrent client around nowadays.

I dont care if a middle schooler coded it, or if it takes 60mb of memory. Boohoo, .6% of my physical memory hogged up, and all I get in exchange is better control and features than most of the other stuff!

Stop being a software elitist, you moron :D.

Kurayami said:
Says the AOL user.
Why is it that you feel the need to continually bring it up again?

So my parents signed up for a bad ISP... is it really worth the waste of your time to be a douchebag about it?

Oh, that's right, your time is worthless.

Excel said:
I dont care if a middle schooler coded it, or if it takes 60mb of memory. Boohoo, .6% of my physical memory hogged up, and all I get in exchange is better control and features than most of the other stuff!

Stop being a software elitist, you moron :D.
Okay, point taken, but it doesn't really provide any more features nowadays. I was an Azureus user until other clients started adding those features that only Azureus had, and now there are plenty out there that retain the functionality but not the bulkiness. For example, BitComet and uTorrent.

That's why it's overrated :)

I use ABC, works fine. I too think that Java makes Azureus bloatware.

I don't know why you are assuming that Bitcomet being banned by people is unrelated.

the fact there are 4-5 times more peers than seeders is probably the reason you are not getting good dl speeds... give it some time and wait for more seeders then it will be faster.

I found this on a forum and it worked on my torrents. Got 300 kb/s when I started to dl a torrent on the first try.(Bitcomet)

After Installing This Great Application Here Are Steps That you need to follow essentially to get the best out of torrents ...

Step 1: --- Enter The Application By Double Clicking Or Pressing Enter On its Icon.

Step 2: --- Click On The "Favorite" Icon In The Top Left Corner To Deactivate The Side Bar ... Or Click On "View" And Then Untick The Box Next to the word "Favorite". (This Is Optional)

Step 3: --- Click On The "Preferences" Icon in the top right Corner.

- Change The Global Max Upload Rate To "3" If you Dont want to Share Alot, but thats minimum.

- Change The Max Simultaneous Downloads Tasks To "10"

- Change The Listen Port At The Bottom To "6881" ...

Step 4: --- Now on the Left side of the Preferences Menu there is a Bar, Click On "Connections", The Third Last Icon. And Change These Settings:

- Change The Maximum Connections Per Task to "9999"

- Change The Connections To Keep Per task to "9998"

- Change The Global Maximum Upload Slots to "10"

- Change The Global Minimum Upload Slots to "5"

- Change The Half-Open TCP Connections to "50" Instead of "10" ... No More that "50" though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
i think my port is set to 32549 or something. I included it as well as the surrounding ports when i opened it... Nothing.

Only now, I've switched over to uTorrent and it's going at a decent 40 down 25 up. The little port-forwarding-testing tool says that the port is still blocked though. I have no idea what's going on.

Beef Welington said:
i think my port is set to 32549 or something. I included it as well as the surrounding ports when i opened it... Nothing.

Only now, I've switched over to uTorrent and it's going at a decent 40 down 25 up. The little port-forwarding-testing tool says that the port is still blocked though. I have no idea what's going on.
Check to see if your cable modem or DSL router has forwarding. My DSL box is also a router and so I had to set it up to port forward to my router.

Back