[pics] woot noahs ark in my apartment

shocker

Veteran X
http://chris.soyars.net/leak/IMG_4718.jpg
http://chris.soyars.net/leak/IMG_4714.jpg
http://chris.soyars.net/leak/IMG_4723.jpg

Linked due to the fact that I am too lazy to resize.

So my girlfriend yells to me, "SHOCKER!!! What's that noise in the kitchen?"
I get off my ass to check it out only to find a pool of water on the counter, with water gushing out of the ceiling. Water was coming out around the fire sprinkler, not actually through it. A few buckets later and a call to emergeny maint a nice hole has formed in my ceiling. Apparently holes in ceilings make leaks stop, because it seems to be settling down now.

Regardless i've got a nice half day off of work tomorrow while I wait at home for a fire sprinkler repair company to show up and determine if that is really the problem. Fortunately I am not liable for any damage and the complex will pay for any damage that happens, time to setup my desktop right under it.

i wonder why she calls you shocker :eek:

but that is nothing.

my sisters apartment's ceiling totally collapsed in her bedroom. she was away at the time but god damn,that must have sucked.

about 10 years ago there was a winter storm, but it was just warm enough so that instead of snowing, it slushed. the slush accumulated to a depth of about a foot. well our admin building has an old flat roof and the accumulated slush blocked the scuppers on the roof so the water couldn't drain off. this was a saturday and i went into work, nobody was there. as i got to the second floor and started walking down the hallway i could hear a loud noise. as i got closer i realized it was rushing water but i couldn't figure out how or why. then i walked into our cadd room and saw it - a torrent of water coming from the ceiling right onto our cadd machines. there were wires everywhere so there was no way i was going to walk in there. it was the freakiest thing. such a feeling of panic and helplessness.

Yeah mine isn't quite that bad, but it is a good excuse to go into work late tomorrow. "Yeah, I need to like babysit this thing until the repair people show up..."

Nothing worse than flooding (though this is more of a leak).

Happened to me 3 times.

#1 - Forgot to clean gutters so water just ran off my roof in to the window wells (which also weren't cleaned). Wet leaves create a nice seal over the drain tile. Water pours in through the windows. Joy.

#2 - Pressure valve thingy on my hot water heater goes bad while away for a 4 day weekend. Joy.

#3 - Wife wakes me up because we have not power and she needs to get ready for work. I walk down to basement only to step off the last step in to 3 inches of water. I quickly go to my neighbors house to borrow his generator to plug in my sump pumps only to discover that 2 seperate sump pumps had failed within 3 days of me checking them to see if they were ok. Joy.

Lesson. Only use GOOD sump pumps. Replace water heater valve thingy every couple years. Leaves are your enemy!

yeah, last year the copper hot water outlet pipe on our hot water heater sprung a leak and went undetected for two days. the water ran under our select hardwood foyer and buckled the entire thing.

here's the REAL lesson i learned. after filing the claim with my insurance company and having it replaced ($500 deductable), i am now off limits to any other insurance companies for 5 years from the event date. they consider a water claim the DUI of insurance claims. so even if i wanted to change house insurance providers, almost nobody would take me. which of course means that my current provider can do whatever they please with my rate, which they did.

once when i lived in an apartment this bitch's water heater (over me) ruptured and our apartment got flooded

I supervise a small jail in a courthouse where we hold prisoners for the day while they await thier hearings in court. We recently had our cellblock completely gutted and rebuilt from scratch. One of the changes was "security grade" sprinkler heads in each cell. Two days into the use of our new cells we get this guy freaking out because he has to wait for court. He spends the whole fucking day kicking and pounding on the cell door. After a while I just tuned out the noise and didn't pay much attention to him.

So later in the day I'm walking by his cell, doing my visual checks, and as I walk by his cell and glance inside I stop and do a double take. The guy is wet from head to toe and madder than I've seen someone in a loooong time.

Turns out his constant banging broke a seal on the new sprinkler head which is located right over the door. It had been going for about 5 minutes straight. It also turns out that they didn't flush the new system after installation. The first water to come out was a very oily solution that they use to test sprinkler systems for leaks.

After moving him to a new cell I went to the control room and burned a copy of the video. I laugh every time I watch it..lol

Mike

one time I couldn't get my toilet to stop running after I flushed it. I took the top off and jiggled the handle a little, that didn't work. So i started moving the hose where the water pours into the pipe above the plunger, the damn thing broke and water was shooting straight into the air all over the ceiling. I was 17 at the time and called my dad to ask what to do. He said to turn off the water main which was downstairs, I couldn't find it. 15 minutes later I finally found it and turned it off. We had to replace all the carpet in the hallway, the 2 bedrooms next to the bathroom, and replace a part of the basement ceiling. I remember stepping back and looking at the toilet while the water was shooting straight up, fucking looked like something straight out of a movie. One of the Funniest/Worst days of my life.

CrazyMike said:
I supervise a small jail in a courthouse where we hold prisoners for the day while they await thier hearings in court. We recently had our cellblock completely gutted and rebuilt from scratch. One of the changes was "security grade" sprinkler heads in each cell. Two days into the use of our new cells we get this guy freaking out because he has to wait for court. He spends the whole fucking day kicking and pounding on the cell door. After a while I just tuned out the noise and didn't pay much attention to him.

So later in the day I'm walking by his cell, doing my visual checks, and as I walk by his cell and glance inside I stop and do a double take. The guy is wet from head to toe and madder than I've seen someone in a loooong time.

Turns out his constant banging broke a seal on the new sprinkler head which is located right over the door. It had been going for about 5 minutes straight. It also turns out that they didn't flush the new system after installation. The first water to come out was a very oily solution that they use to test sprinkler systems for leaks.

After moving him to a new cell I went to the control room and burned a copy of the video. I laugh every time I watch it..lol

Mike

You have the vid and haven't posted it yet? WTF MAN, WTF!

bens2021 said:
You have the vid and haven't posted it yet? WTF MAN, WTF!

They have all the angles covered for this kind of thing. The video can only be burned in a proprietary format only viewable with thier software. Even if I could.. I like being able to feed my children and wouldn't risk my job.

Mike

CPVC pipe ( or any plumbing pipe for that matter should NEVER touch in passing. All pipes flex and move when they are turned on and off and my guess is that that white pipe has been rubbing against the sprinkler supply, causeing the glue seal to fail. Make sure that when they fix the problem that those pipes are separated. It's probably a code violation where you are.

sounds liek you are renting this apartment, so it really doesnt fucking matter now does it you fag?

Back