NFL Combine is bullshit

mostest def

Veteran XV
Let me just say that everyone makes too big a deal about the combine and about how fast someone can run the 40 or how many reps they can do with a certain ammount of weight. The bottom line is can they play football?. I dont think you can judge that strictly by how fast or strong someone is. You judge that by watching tape and seeing if he plays as strong in the 4th as he did in the 1st, seeing if a player shys away from contact or if he can still break tackles late in games.

oh and this thread isnt all about Vince Youngs score (although he isnt the 'tradional QB' so it doesnt surprise me he scored low)

pic too
lacey_chabertD.jpg

combines are important. it's like looking at a horse after you've studied the racing form and before you place the bet. If it looks nice then you feel comfortable about your previous study, if not you may have some revisions in mind.

I just wish they would open the Combine up somewhat to the public here in Indiana. Its cool seeing Peter King and others in restaraunts downtown but still It would be cool to go in and watch some.

Alvarez said:
I just wish they would open the Combine up somewhat to the public here in Indiana. Its cool seeing Peter King and others in restaraunts downtown but still It would be cool to go in and watch some.

maybe if you listened to rap. but since you're a dirt head forget it.

it's definitely not bullshit...it's not like these guys haven't watched the kids actually play football all season--this is now more of a separating the top-tier guys based on pure physical ability

i wouldn't put TOO much emphasis on any of it, but it's probably correlative to a degree...after all, we all saw Maurice Clarett get caught up with by the cops, which wasn't nearly as much of a surprise after his lackluster Combine 40 :D

It is important but it isn’t the only thing teams look at when drafting a player. All of these football players are very good, they need some way of measuring them to find some separation, and this is a part of doing that.

-TigerClaw- said:
i wouldn't put TOO much emphasis on any of it, but it's probably correlative to a degree...after all, we all saw Maurice Clarett get caught up with by the cops, which wasn't nearly as much of a surprise after his lackluster Combine 40 :D

i generally agree with you in that it could help out some players from smaller schools.

A player's ability and resume on the field is generally the largest factor in where they are drafted. But the combine is important for a number of reasons:

1) You get to see the raw physical abilities of players and compare it their peers. College production doesn't transfer to the NFL and, for the most part, neither do the systems a player played in. Timmy Chang set the NCAA passing yard record in '04 and went undrafted. Jason Campbell was viewed as a flop at Auburn until his senior year and was drafted in the first round, even though he played in a run-first offense. A players' experience and knowledge of the game only gets you so far. Raw physical ability takes you further. The players taken in the first round are the best combination of football knowledge, skills, and physical ability. You have to see a player up close to judge that physical ability completely.

2) Interviews. You can't judge a players' integrity, intelligence, and demeanor by watching game tape. The combine gives a place for every NFL executive to meet basically every major prospect first hand. Players like DeAngello Williams and D'Brickashaw Ferguson have impressed scouts and executives through their interviews just as much as anything they could have done on the field.

3) It gives the players' union a place to address the imcoming players' agents about changes in the economics of the game, contract rules, etc.

If I'm going to pay some 20 year old millions of dollars I will test how far they can shove a broom up there ass if I feel like it.

Oh yeah, and there are complete physical exams where they go through a players' injury history and test how well his injuries have healed (or are healing if they are currently injured). This is actually probably the most important part of the combine for NFL teams and even some players.

If you have a guy who has a history of bad knees or a bad shoulder, teams can see just how good it is or how likely it is the player will re-injure himself.

Plenty of people who go to the combine won't get drafted into the NFL.

Also the combine tests many other things that the college programs have exagerated. Size, weight and many other things are pumped up a bit by schools and the pro teams need to know exactly height and weight among other things.

Back