Micro$oft $ervers [bloops] ...

I like Server 2k3, but in terms of I/O performance, Netware 6.5 blows it out of the water. It just isn't anywhere as easy to get going.

I know nothing about Unix.

Computer makers sold $17.7 billion worth of Windows servers worldwide in 2005 compared with $17.5 billion in Unix servers, IDC analyst Matthew Eastwood said of the firm's latest Server Tracker market share report. "It's the first time Unix was not top overall since before the Tracker started in 1996."

And in another first, fast-growing Linux took third place, bumping machines with IBM's mainframe operating system, z/OS. Linux server sales grew from $4.3 billion in 2004 to $5.3 billion in 2005, while mainframes dropped from $5.7 billion to $4.8 billion over the same period, Eastwood said.

This is pretty easy to suss out :rofl:

Linux and Unix are in separate categories. It's not surprising -- with Debian, plenty of hosts/companies etc now have a viable BSD alternative, so they're going that route.

But that's splitting the Unix market, when they're both *nix family products. Linux + Unix > Windows.

mr_luc said:
But that's splitting the Unix market, when they're both *nix family products. Linux + Unix > Windows.
Yes, but that's not valid in this case. Unix and Linux compete directly against one another. Eventually, IMHO Linux will also beat Unix, but that's a ways off.

Edit: If you look at what MS has done in the server space over the last 5 years, it's pretty incredible.

KnightWolf said:
Yes, but that's not valid in this case. Unix and Linux compete directly against one another. Eventually, IMHO Linux will also beat Unix, but that's a ways off.
Meh, they're for different things. The various nix's are specialized around specific things; NetBSD I use for all kinds of net-appliance stuff, FreeBSD is the host's delight, OpenBSD is the security pro's RealDoll. Linux is for overarching quality and capability on any box you throw it on.

But the BIG BOX, the massively expensive, over-priced unix market -- THAT market can suck a cock. Nix overall should be way cheaper than windows boxes, and Sun/IBM fucked that up. So the overall money for Nix SHOULD be going down, as the old proprietary nix os' are replaced by the high-quality open-source OS'.

And in that vein, figures focusing on spending are way off imho. Look at the difference in webservers -- between where most webserver money is spent and the actual numbers on the web server market.

Back