a little project to protect my stereo investment

T-Funk

Veteran XV
i present to you decoy faceplate
decoy%20faceplate.jpg

dum dum dum

rig a switch that sits under your stereo, when lifted the switch closes, activating a bomb.

Advantages:
Bomb will kill thief forever ending his thieving.

Disadvantages:
Insurance policy may *gasp* NOT pay for damage.
Stereo gets ruined.

Hmm ... how about a faceplate wired to some poison darts?

I have super sharp snell fishing hooks and JB welded exacto knife blades on the back of my deck. They may be able to steal the fucker, but they will leave a blood trail. So if the get it, at least I made them work for my deck

u can still see that something is there, just not what brand
plus they can assume its good if i care enough to remove face all the time
with this they see shitty stock honda stereo and walk on by

waaaaaay back when (before detachable faceplates) a buddy embedded the stereo behind the dash of the car

woulda taken someone forever to get it out

People don't take unit's that have no faceplate attached because the unit by itself with no faceplate is for all intents and purposes... useless! If you have no faceplate in there at all, there's nothing to steal.

Now what you've done there is create the illusion that you have a fully functional stock Honda unit ready for the taking. If anything, you've increased the risk of theft.

ok invar
someone wants my 1989 factory stereo

do u not know how easy it is to buy a new faceplate for a cd player?
or for them to just pop on the exact faceplate they may have stolen from another car where they couldnt get the stereo?

except maybe the kenwood excelon that registers the serial number with them and they will call the cops if you bring it in

Last edited:
T-Funk said:
ok invar
someone wants my 1989 factory stereo
yes, someone does, because it's easy to yank, and more importantly, it's fully functional and in one piece.

do u not know how easy it is to buy a new faceplate for a cd player?
:huh: do you think thieves actually buy faceplates?

or for them to just pop on the exact faceplate they may have stolen from another car where they couldnt get the stereo?
that's pretty unlikely.

in any case, you're giving car stereo thieves way too much credit. they are good at what they do (stealing stereos) but that's about it. it's not like they're highly intelligent or anything. these are common thugs, thieves, whatever you want to call them... not criminal masterminds that think about ways to maximize their profit by buying/selling parts. they don't take a faceplate and think "maybe i'll hold onto it and someday i'll run across a headunit that DOESN'T have the faceplate, and now i'll have a complete unit!" they don't carry around a shopping list of parts that they're missing to make up a complete set.

youd be surprised
i knew people who did

this ones not that easy to steal, its at least bolted to the frame a couple times and thats after u take another thing bolted to the frame off, all diff bolt sizes

which is not that hard in the daylight but its a bitch in the dark without a set of sockets

i dont deny i may be putting too much effort into this :)

not to mention that your unit, without its faceplate, has no identifying marks visible, so a thief would have no idea what model unit is in there anyway.

until they steal it, then theyve got serial and model number and brand right on the casing
ive seen some shitty shitty stereos stolen just for the hell of it

but whatever i decide to do, ill still have this one in case im feeling paranoid :)
for all i know it might not fit as well as planned

Last edited:
I always assumed faceplates and head units were matched units that would only work if their security chip agreed...now I find out that any faceplate for a particular brand will work on any head unit?

that sounds like a remarkably stupid security scheme.

Back