MP3 tagging etc?

loop

Veteran XX
Well now.... my computer's media hard drive crashed recently (okay, it didn't crash - i accidentally formatted the wrong drive when reinstalling windows... yeah, fucking rookie mistake and one a net admin like me shouldn't make... but whatever... i suck).

i managed to restore about 90% of my mp3 collection by various ILLEGAL OMG downloads, but they're not tagged uniformly for the most part and the naming schemes are all over the place. I downloaded a program called (ironically enough) Tag & Rename, and that seems to have HELPED the naming out, but the tagging itself is not handled well at all (unless I'm missing it somehow)...

anyone have any suggestions for doing the tagging portion?

kthx.

preemptive:
warez ban
do it by hand
go buy the cds
buy from itunes

I have a program that compares their md5 against a database and will tag them according to what that brings back (if the user approves that it's correct).

BUT, I forget the name of it, so if no one else has posted before I get home from work in, oh, roughly 4 hours, I'll post it. It's on sourceforge too, opensource so no warez :)

id3 tag it can do that - it checks a database and makes a guess at the song - I think it works best with full albums, never tried it with an individual track.

http://www.id3-tagit.de/

update: shit no it doesn't - its good for editing though. I was thinking of cdex but I think that only works with a list from a cd when you rip it.

Last edited:
This is what I use http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It works fine for me. i dont' know how it compares to id3-tag or wahtever that is

mp3tag u can also search through a database and have it auto-rename... but the last time i tried it, it stopped working after a couple of searches... maybe they don't like u using it too much?

loop said:
:wave:

does it do that automatically for you though?

What do you mean by automatically. You mean if it will automatically change the genre for Coldplay songs to "metrorock". No...but why would you want it to decide what category to put things in?

You can highlight all the songs you want to change...and edit them all to be the same.

ps. For the record I like Coldplay and am just comfortable with my gayity.

LostDuck said:
What do you mean by automatically. You mean if it will automatically change the genre for Coldplay songs to "metrorock". No...but why would you want it to decide what category to put things in?

You can highlight all the songs you want to change...and edit them all to be the same.

ps. For the record I like Coldplay and am just comfortable with my gayity.

no, what i mean is that i want it to look at the file, go to a database, and write a new id3 tag that states the name of the artist, song name, album name, etc automatically with limited interference from me.

I use File Sorting Utility (FSU). Mine's a pretty old version, but I've seen no need to replace it.

Do any of these rename files and maybe sort them as well?

Some of my mp3s have extra shit on the file names. I'd like maybe just the artist and song title.

Maybe some sort of sorting. Like a tree of folders A-Z 0-9, then within them, the artist names...then albums or miscellaeneous for unknown albums?

musicbrainz is working pretty well for me - it's hitting about 85% accuracy, but i have a lot of obscure stuff in my collection, so I'm pretty impressed by that kinda success rate.
:)

I searched around and couldn't find anything I really liked til I found FixTunes . I liked it so much that I bought it.

However its not that great for obscure stuff.

Back