[TECH] Locking down windows CE/Mobile devices?

gibsonic

Veteran X
We are about to deploy new symbol portable data terminal scanners at multiple facilities in different cities. This is our first large scale deployment of windows ce/mobile devices.

Here's the device...

MC9000G.jpg

We have done the blackberry thing. We have the handful of corporate exec types or managers with PDA's, but this device will be in the hands of bottom of the totem pole warehouse workers paid by the hour that are generally as rough as they come.

We have used symbol scanners for years but the software interface has always been a very proprietary interface with only a single application loaded that starts automatically. Think dumb terminal on a scanner...

Windows enabled devices are Symbol's going forward platform and we don't want to keep dumping money in old technology that is costly to maintain. We keep these scanners on average 8-10 years, so we definately don't want to keep buying 4-5 year old model scanners.

We know there are going to be challenges with going to a new platform and we are working with Symbol partners to come up with a comprehensive solution, but I thought I would throw this out to TW and see if there are any other ideas.

We are looking to lock down these windows ce.net or windows mobile 5.0 devices. I am pushing for us to go to windows mobile b/c it will be much more compatible with other applications we are already running and we can just dump them over to the scanner and roll. Making new OS deployment packages, if needed, should be easier as well.

There appear to be some players in the mobile device security area but I am green at this so it's hard to make heads or tails of them all.

We want to lock down the devices so they only can see 1 or 2 apps and get rid of things like email, solitaire, etc.

Come on TW...don't leave me hangin ;)

Back