So planetside will be free starting feb 14th.

The whole concept of the game is pretty stupid in practice imho.

More time is spent walking or driving or flying around to the battle for capturing the worthless bases, than real action or fun.

Even if your faction didn't capture or possess a single one of the bases on any of the islands, there would have to be an enemy squad camping the outside of every teleported dome thing 24/7 for your faction to be cut off from other the islands. As long as your faction has more people logged in than other factions at that hour, you would be able to get out and zerg rush even though your faction had basically lost at the game. Too much emphasis is put on attacking and not enough on the sense of ownership over the bases or need to defend.

At least this is what I thought when I dl'd the free 7 day trial in 2002ish

Last edited:
the fee of ps never really bothered me (although I thought it should have only been like $5 maybe)

the game just sucked.

The #1 problem with this game is it takes zero skill most of the time. The action was fun once in awhile, but most of the time it was just a massive zerg rush.

Everyone massed into these huge groups, and when two teams did meet, it was a total laggy chaotic mess.

Got Haggis? said:
I am assuming you don't have to purchase the actual game, that it will be free as well. If this is the case, we should get a bunch of TW peeps together and own, even though ps sucks...we are tribes player, we should be able to dominate.
Tribes players arent better, just more patient.

Kerosene31 said:
The #1 problem with this game is it takes zero skill most of the time. The action was fun once in awhile, but most of the time it was just a massive zerg rush.

Everyone massed into these huge groups, and when two teams did meet, it was a total laggy chaotic mess.
:signed:

TetraTimboman said:
The whole concept of the game is pretty stupid in practice imho.

More time is spent walking or driving or flying around to the battle for capturing the worthless bases, than real action or fun.

Even if your faction didn't capture or possess a single one of the bases on any of the islands, there would have to be an enemy squad camping the outside of every teleported dome thing 24/7 for your faction to be cut off from other the islands. As long as your faction has more people logged in than other factions at that hour, you would be able to get out and zerg rush even though your faction had basically lost at the game. Too much emphasis is put on attacking and not enough on the sense of ownership over the bases or need to defend.

At least this is what I thought when I dl'd the free 7 day trial in 2002ish

This was one of the most frequent complaints from early beta to retail and beyond, and it was always ignored. There is no motivation to do anything but attack, and only for the purpose of gettng into a fight. The game could have been so much more tactical if there were reasons to hole up and defend areas.

As for the free gameplay, they are limiting these accounts to a certain Battle Rank and Command Rank, basically limiting the equipment you get access to. It's an attempt to pull in new interest similar to what Anarchy Online is doing - giving you the basic game for free but requiring you to pay for something that any player will eventually want.

WrathChild said:
This was one of the most frequent complaints from early beta to retail and beyond, and it was always ignored. There is no motivation to do anything but attack, and only for the purpose of gettng into a fight. The game could have been so much more tactical if there were reasons to hole up and defend areas.

Defending a base was tons of fun, on the rare occasion you could get a large group of people doing it.

I remember having lots of fun holding off the enemy zerg for a long time with a much smaller force. If you got the right people set up properly, you could hold the chokepoints.

Of course, most people never bothered to try to defend, as was said there was no point to.

The game should have done something like declare 6 bases (the number would have to be determined by server populations) "objectives" and give points to the side(s) that held them the longest.

They needed some way to get two sides together fighting for something with relatively equal forces.

Dave G. is the type of guy to get a $25 million parachute package as the company he works for collapses in financial ruin.

Just an FYI - Dave G has nothing to do with this game anymore, and hasn't for a very long time.

Let it go for fucks sake.

Back