[RAM] problem with 1024 + 2x512 sticks

pyrot3chnic

Veteran XX
I have a Chaintech Zenith ZNF3-150 motherboard which provides 3 DIMM slots and a max of 2 gigs. The first one takes 1 gig, and the other two 1 gig together, so 512 each. When I first built the system(a while ago.. pre-T:V) I bought a 512MB Corsair XMS stick( CMX512-3200C2 ), and then a month later ordered another one of the same type. Last week I decided to max out the mobo and bought a 1gig Corsair XMS stick( CMX1024-3200C2 ) and ran into a bit of a problem. I moved the 512 stick from the first slot into the 3rd and stuck the 1 gig in its place. So far so good. I turn my pc on, it does the memory test, says "2096574 OK," and then stops at the frequency check leaving a blank. I take the 2 512's out and left the 1 gig in to find that the latency didn't match up:

cpu-zmemory.jpg

2 x 512:
2x512stick.jpg

1024:
1024stick.jpg

Is there anything I can do to get all three working together? Could the voltage difference be screwing it up?

Did you read the manual?

Below is a list of memory module combinations supported by Chaintech. AMD does not recommend combinations of DIMM1+ DIMM2 + DIMM3 and please refer to list below for recommended memory combinations.

Apart from that, does the sstem work if all 3 modules are in?

And looking at Corsair's site, you should be able to run all three of those sticks at 2.5-3-3-6. Mess with the timings in the BIOS a bit.

Hmm, the manual didn't mention that part, it just says don't use the combination of dimm2+dimm3... also, I'm not sure what the point of providing 3 DIMMs would be if they don't recommend using all 3..? :huh:

I can't get in the bios.. when it tries to do the frequency check, it stops there, just leaves it blank and goes no further. I hit delete, and bios wouldn't open.

try booting with one stick... set the timings manually to the 1024MB sticks timings. save, reboot, and power off.

Stick the other sticks back in and try again.

This may or may not work, but is worth a try.

Back