Any objective Ruby/Rails developers here?

Pachacutec

Veteran X
I looked at the intro video and my perception is this language/framework is for solving things that are solved. "My 5 minute blog! My 5 minute recipe site!" etc. I'm wondering if anyone has used Ruby for something more than a glorified forms tool.

RoR doesn't really lend itself to anything maintainable... Just an FYI. It's fucking awesome at getting quick projects up QUICK! But if you have to maintain it and build on it you're going to want to reconsider.

Pachacutec said:
I'm wondering if anyone has used Ruby for something more than a glorified forms tool.
What kind of projects are you thinking of? Database intensive? Complicated visual design? High traffic? ..?

Corporate sites are always slow to adapt new technology or frameworks. So it may be hard to find examples there. I've only had experience with internal intranet sites.

Most of the visual designs were based on straight HTML/CSS. Database access is where rails truly shines. Coding with an object-relational abstraction of the database is a dream. Then again, if you equate all database access to 'glorified forms tools', you might not be as impressed.

LostAngel said:
RoR doesn't really lend itself to anything maintainable... Just an FYI. It's fucking awesome at getting quick projects up QUICK! But if you have to maintain it and build on it you're going to want to reconsider.

so you've used it? sounds like a great prototyper then.

Back