Audio nerds of TW, I summon you

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
So I need a double male end audio jack, for recording purposes. Like the one you might use to hook a guitar up to an amp, only thinner, for regular audio ports like on a computer.

Until I can actually buy one, tell me why it won't work to cut the ends off of two pairs of headphones and splice them. The end pieces match up in where the little horizontal bands are on the connector, so shouldn't they function the same?

ok, you mean you need a male-to-male 3.5 mini headphone jack cord.

you can splice them as long as you keep the tip/ring/sleeve wires correct. you would need a voltmeter to check for sure tho.

Daemon said:
there are so many things wrong with what you're saying, i dont know where to begin.
ho ho ho mistar smarty pants...

mr. smarty pants: "i know something YOU DONT KNOW"
me: "what"
mr. smarty pants: "can't tell..."

I asked ONE thing, so tell me what's the matter with that ONE thing.

Daemon said:
ok, you mean you need a male-to-male 3.5 mini headphone jack cord.

you can splice them as long as you keep the tip/ring/sleeve wires correct. you would need a voltmeter to check for sure tho.
you say tip/ring/sleeve...

I only see two wires when I cut. What gives? What do each of the three wires carry?

tip ring sleeve are the divisions on the connector. there are three areas that are connection surfaces. each is attacked to a wire. that is a stereo connector so the tip and ring are right and left, and the sleeve is ground. don't worry about which is which, just match the wires up and you should be fine.

Back