[TW Doctors] warnings about mixing medications

Joft

Veteran X
i've been taking aspirin for the past few days, the last two times i took it were at about noon (7 hours ago) i took two 80mg baby aspirin chewables, then 4 hours after that (3 hours ago) i took one 80mg. now i need to switch to ibuprofen but all those meds have warnings about not taking them if you're taking some other shit.

i think the ibuprofen is like 200mg. if i take it an hour from now (4 hours after the 80mg aspirin) will i die or something? I should also mention that i'm taking benadryl too.

If you really feel uncomfortable, ask a pharmacist (there will be at least 1 open in your area) or call the company that makes the drug you are going to take.

I know youre not supposed to mix pills and booze.

But it hasnt given me any bad effect to tell me why not.

This has nothing to do with anything.

iNVAR said:
why have you been taking aspirin several days?
because the venous malformation in my face has been swollen really badly for the past couple of days and is the most incredible pain I've ever felt in my life, combined with the fact that the pain is caused by sheer pressure. the aspirin isn't for the pain though, it's for the anticoagulent properties, as the swelling might be caused by the formation of tiny clots in the malformed veins.

my eyes are red from lack of sleep and my face feels like it's going to explode and it takes every last fiber of self control i have to stop myself from going into a panic. and by virtue of the fact that i'm going through all this pain I feel obliged to tell you all about it. thanks for reading

have you been to the doctor about this? what did they say?

As for mixing the medication, like someone else pointed out, the thing you have to watch out for is your liver. I'm not sure what's in benadryl but I know taking Nyquil and Tylenol is a bad idea because both have lots of acetaminophen, and taking too much of that will really stress your liver out.

Look at the active ingredient list on Benedryl.

IB and aspirin probably are okay if it's been four hours like you said, especially since the amount of aspirin you took is only 85mg.

Keep yourself hydrated.

aardvark said:
I know youre not supposed to mix pills and booze.

But it hasnt given me any bad effect to tell me why not.

This has nothing to do with anything.

bad for the liver

not that taking tylenol and having a beer will kill you

but it'd do more damage to your liver than drinking

so don't do it a lot

Joft said:
i've been taking aspirin for the past few days, the last two times i took it were at about noon (7 hours ago) i took two 80mg baby aspirin chewables, then 4 hours after that (3 hours ago) i took one 80mg. now i need to switch to ibuprofen but all those meds have warnings about not taking them if you're taking some other shit.

i think the ibuprofen is like 200mg. if i take it an hour from now (4 hours after the 80mg aspirin) will i die or something? I should also mention that i'm taking benadryl too.

dude youre a long way from being in any kind of trouble from the aspirin or the ibuprofen.

you can start taking the ibuprofen now if you want. the benadryl wont be a problem either.

edit: note im not commenting on your apparent self diagnosis or how appropriate these meds are for whatever your problem is.

Last edited:
iNVAR said:
As for mixing the medication, like someone else pointed out, the thing you have to watch out for is your liver. I'm not sure what's in benadryl but I know taking Nyquil and Tylenol is a bad idea because both have lots of acetaminophen, and taking too much of that will really stress your liver out.
Benadryl is generally diphenhydramine HCI and maybe pseudoephidrine. It's safe to take with most analgesics.

Stomach bleeding is also a possibility with aspirin, but with the doses he's taking I wouldn't worry about it.

iNVAR said:
have you been to the doctor about this? what did they say?
99% of doctors know less about venous malformations than you do if you read that link. there's nothing they could do really, these things just swell periodically, I just have to live with it unless/until I get some newfangled laser surgery or something

Joft said:

Heart patients take 325 mg everyday of aspirin. 200 of ibuprofen is a ridiculously small dose too.

Blinders said:
Benadryl is generally diphenhydramine HCI and maybe pseudoephidrine. It's safe to take with most analgesics.

Stomach bleeding is also a possibility with aspirin, but with the doses he's taking I wouldn't worry about it.
traditional benadryl is only diphenhydramine...

to obtain the correct dose for aspirin or ibuprofen, have a friend stand 10 feet away. Open your mouth. Have friend throw fist full of aspirin or ibuprofen at mouth. Whatever sticks is the appropriate dose.

Joft said:
99% of doctors know less about venous malformations than you do if you read that link. there's nothing they could do really, these things just swell periodically, I just have to live with it unless/until I get some newfangled laser surgery or something
so you've never actually been to a doctor at some point in time that diagnosed you as having that?

Back