Eyes...

somespareid

Veteran XV
I've recently noticed that if it's dark and I look directly at something that's fluorescent (glow-in-the-dark) and lit up, it doesn't appear very bright. However, if I look slightly to one side, it appears much brighter (in my peripheral vision).

Does this happen with any of you? I fear that my overuse of computers has caused this.

This is due to the configuration of rods/cones in the eyes. The center is less sensitive to light. Further out, it is more sensitive, but no color. They teach this in the military to people who will be looking for targets at night. Sometimes you can look slightly to the side and will see something.

You can try this on a dark night on stars in the sky. Look at a dim star, then look very slightly to the side of it.

Barbarian said:
This is due to the configuration of rods/cones in the eyes. The center is less sensitive to light. Further out, it is more sensitive, but no color. They teach this in the military to people who will be looking for targets at night. Sometimes you can look slightly to the side and will see something.

You can try this on a dark night on stars in the sky. Look at a dim star, then look very slightly to the side of it.

Back