Lord of the Rings Online

Sierra had the license for this for years, and never managed to get a game out. I guess Turbine will, but won't it just be Asheron's call without the magic? My conclusion is that just about all mmorpg's suck when you come right down to it. Rather than exploring and becoming part of a world, what they really boil down to, is doing the same boring shit repetetively for hours, days and weeks at a time, seeing the crafting economy ruined by chinese farmers, and having your ass handed to you by powergamers (ie kids who are too young to drive, losers who can't muster a girlfriend or a social life, and the bored midwestern housewives who e-fluff both of the prior categories) purely because you can't spend 6 hours a night and 12 hours on weekends playing the game so that your character is tricked out in the best +stats gear in the game. There was a time I thought a Middle earth mmorpg was cool. Then I played some mmorpg's. Now I could care less -- I'd rather go re-read the books or watch the movies.

Yeah the movies on gamespot were kinda same-old same old. I guess we won't know until we see the actual game mechanics. But I thought it strange that with the amount of money this game could make cause of the name that it hasn't really been advertised...unlike Dungeons and Dragons Online which comes out even after LORO (lord of the rings online).

I think this should've come out earlier like, when ROTK was out. The LotR Hype has sorta died down and it will not sell as much as it could've

Honestly I think this is a game where they should have spent a lot of time on the graphics and made it the best looking MMORPG out there, because if they did I'd be playing it simply so I could wander around and see all the little bits of Middle-Earth I've always wanted to explore. I'd love to have my own little hobbit hole in Hobbiton and travel by foot the same path Bilbo took to the Lonely Mountain. Not to mention the dozens of other places I'd love to go to. Unfortunetly not only does the gameplay look generic from what I've seen, but the graphics look fucking worthless as well. If there's one universe I wish I could explore, it's Tolkiens, but I don't know if I want to if the environment is blurry, washed out and everything is made up of low-polygons.

edit: well I just looked at some of the screenshots again, it seems the newer ones arent as bad as the ones I looked at a while back, but theres still something about them I don't like.

Last edited:
heh The game is not coming out in feb. I follow the boards alot and they are at least 4-6months away from a beta. Turbine has redone the entire game I think 3 times now.

Well they shouldn't be limited in their budget. Here's some screenies. Actually this seems different than what I saw. I like the look of this game. Hope they aren't using the EQ2 engine though.

102.jpg

94.jpg

290.jpg

387.jpg

Last edited:
Back