Prices on these rack mount KMM units are ridiculous

AirGibson

Veteran X
For example: http://www.insight.com/site/product/detail/index.cfm?item_number=AP5015

$1700 for what boils down to a laptop without any guts except it folds closed differently. And it has rails! And a shitty LCD!

So I'm hitting e-bay expecting grossly different prices for used ones, but it still seems like $400 to $800 is the norm for some of these little used things which amount to nothing more than crappy 14 and 15" LCDs with keyboards & rails attached to them. I find these prices offensive and quite insulting. I'm writing my congressman. :soapbox:

Anyone know of a site that sells these 1u fold out keyboard / lcd monitors for reasonable prices? By reasonable I'm thinking $500 max for a new one with a 14" or 15" screen (and even that is overpriced, IMO).

Sounds like you have already had a look around. We was looking for something similar but we just decided it would be cheaper to just terminal services if we need access to our servers. Our Dell servers have a monitor port in the front, so if needed we could just attach a monitor

Get a cheap laptop, put it on a sliding tray, setup remote connections to the boxes you want to control.

Goof said:
Get a cheap laptop, put it on a sliding tray, setup remote connections to the boxes you want to control.
exactly what I was thinking, but that's a few extra points of failure. If its network connection is down for whatever reason, you have to break out a monitor / keyboard to manually hook up to it :/

Back