Coast Guard

Toddler

Veteran X
I'm looking into signing up for the Pre-Officer's Commissioning Program. I was wondering if anyone here is in the coast guard or was in it or can give me any more information on what it entails and stuff like that.

bountayj.gif

Yea i knew bounty was in it but i wasn't sure if there were any lurkers or some closet coast guard members that could message me or somethin =P

Bounty will know all there is to know...

Any CG lurkers are bounties bitches and don't know anything he hasn't taught them.

Only thing I know about the CG, is they have a huge waiting list to get it. It's very hard just to go in enlisted, even harder as an officer.

Really? I have heard like 10 commercials saying they have a great need for people since 9/11 to help "protect the integrity and security of the united states" or some crap like that and wanting them to sign up for the coast guard

Toddler said:
Really? I have heard like 10 commercials saying they have a great need for people since 9/11 to help "protect the integrity and security of the united states" or some crap like that and wanting them to sign up for the coast guard

:shrug: Just what I've heard.

whatever you do toddler, make sure you do 1 thing

GET IT IN WRITING

if they promise you the moon, make them write it down, too many recruiters out there just trying to fill the quota.

Pre-Commissioning program? I think that must be a newer initiative ... I've been out of the Guard for three and a half years now.

Here's some info on it, that I found, anyway: http://www.gocoastguard.com/cspi.html

I'm more familiar with the Officer Canidate's School, which I think is what the pre-commissioning program would lead up to. It's about a 17-week long boot camp for those with college degrees, or who have already served as an Enlisted member for a requisite amount of time, to become an officer.

OCS officers are generally more respected than Academy officers, at least among the enlisted ranks. Academy officers (with the general exception of CG pilots, who I loved hanging out with) tend to be jerkoffs ... though that's not always the case, and I certainly do have my own biases, so this is just my opinion.

OCS info: http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/DCPrograms/ocs.htm

I would highly recommend the Coast Guard as a service to join. I understand that it's a little different now than when it was still under the Department of Transportation, but not that much different.

The best thing about the Coast Guard is that you can feel REALLY good about what you're doing for a living, no matter what the administration in the White House is doing to fuck up the country, because the primary missions are to save lives, protect the maritime environment, and safeguard the nation's borders (which is, in my opinion, what our military is SUPPOSED to be doing ... guarding our borders and soverignty ... but I'm waxing a little too political here).

Anyway, definitely contact a recruiter if you can. They'll be able to help you out and give you more info. Or you can just go to http://www.uscg.mil/jobs/ to look for more info there, too.

People will give Coasties a lot of shit, calling them puddle jumpers, etc. But when it comes down to it, Coasties deserve a shitload of respect, as many of them LITERALLY put themselves in harm's way every day when they're out on the water.

Unlike other services in times of peace (not that we'll be seeing times like that anytime soon), the CG mission continues, and there's always work to be done. You won't necessarily get bored to death with a deluge of training exercises, like some of the other branches. ;)

If you don't do the CG, though, my next recommendation would be the Air Force.

Hope this helped.

Back