how important is dvi connection on lcd monitor

T-Funk

Veteran XV
im getting a radeon x600 pro and i was thinking a samsung 913v lcd which i heard was decent for gaming and pretty good for office applications which is more what i want it for
my question is if a dvi connection would really make that big of a difference over analog because this is one of the few i found in my price range and it does not come with dvi input

If you don't use DVI you have to calibrate a few things that DVI does automatically. I'm not sure exactly what options though, as i've only used DVI, but that being said, if it's callibrated well there should be no difference.

what if i plug it into a dvi output with dvi to vga adapter :)
ok realistically should i buy a samsung 730B or a samsung 913v,
pretty much the only diff is response time where the 730b is 8 while the 913 is 12
i looked at them in best buy and with text in excel the 913 looked awesome while 730 looked blurry, but they would have been using vga on both, would the 730 look better than it did with the dvi

edit i love 19" compared to 17 and after buying a dvi cable for the 730 they are equal in price, i just dont wanna kick myself in a year cause i made a bad choice

Best thing you can do is read a few reviews. Dont go on specs alone, because specs dont tell you about things like dark spots.

ive read and read and read, the only reason im not going straight for 730b is because it did not look as good for documents and spreadsheets (i have no way of knowing if i can tweak it to make it much better)

So the 19" had a better quality image than the 17"?

I dont know how an LCD can have a blurry image unless they aren't running it at native res. Price difference between the 2?

no they were exactly the same image quality in video and animation but in excel spreadsheets and word the 913v looked better

913v 400 bucks cdn
730b 350 bucks cdn plus i would need a dvi cable for like 30 bucks

Difficult to predict if the 730b would have shown a spreadsheet differently with DVI.
I guess the only question is, are you satisfied with the image quality you saw on the 913, and do the reviews you have read list any concerning flaws?

ASUS® P5LD2 DELUXE PENTIUM® D PCIE S775 800MHZ FSB W/AUDIO, LAN, 1394 SATA & RAID (DDR2 667MHZ)
CA$214.56

MAXTOR - OEM - 80GB SATA-150 HARD DRIVE 10MS 8MB QUIET MODE 7200RPM
CA$74.76

INTEL® PENTIUM® 4 RETAIL P4 630 3.0GHZ LGA775 (NO PIN) 2MB CACHE 800MHZ FSB
CA$214.56

KINGSTON DDR2 NON-ECC PC2-4200 1024MB 240 PINS DIMM KVR533D2N4K2/1G (KIT OF 2) MEMORY
CA$134.95

SAPPHIRE RADEON X600 PRO PCI-E FULL W/128MB DDR
CA$124.27

DVD-RW - LITE-ON black/beige SOHW1693S 16X +/- DVD-RW (DOUBLE LAYER) RETAIL BOX
CA$63.11

case: $80 w/psu somewhere

mouse/kb mx1000 and media elite kb $90

samsung 913v $399.99

FLOPPY DRIVE 3.5" 1.44MB (BEIGE COLOR)
CA$11.65

MS-OEM DSP WINDOWS® XP PRO
CA$179.61 bcom

Seems like an unusally expensive motherboard, but then again i'm only familiar with AMD boards. Can't stand intel for price/performance, but I guess you've weighed that up.

Might want to pay a bit more attention to the PSU though, more important than most people think and you certainly dont want your whole PC in the hands of some generic piece of crap.

hmm true true
and yeah you know i just thought about my mobo and i dont know why id pay an extra 70 bucks for the deluxe.. thanks for pointing that out

Wouldn't a 17" have a native res of 10*7 and the 19" have a native res of 12*10? So...one of the 2 would be out of their native on the display cuz they just use splitters and send the exact same signal (at the same res) to all their monitors....

A 300W named brand PSU (ie Antec, Enermax, AOpen) would be enough since the GFX card isn't a top range power guzzler, and also it's only running a single hard drive and cdrom.

For a generic you would want 350W.

The antec truepower series are good value and reliable. The Enermax are known to be higher quality but ofcourse a bit more expensive. I'm personally running an antec and it's been fine.

Chikaze said:
Wouldn't a 17" have a native res of 10*7 and the 19" have a native res of 12*10? So...one of the 2 would be out of their native on the display cuz they just use splitters and send the exact same signal (at the same res) to all their monitors....

You'll find probably all 17" monitors have a native res of 1280x1024, and the vast majority of 19" LCDs share the same res. There are a few exceptions among 19" monitors having higher res's, but this isn't one of them.

Both the screens you're looking at use the same res.

Back