[Insurance] So i got in a wreck PART 2

RebelToRumble

Veteran X
The lady confessed to hitting my car, i got a Elantra rental car (which isn't a bad car after driving it everywhere). I had the claim DONE within 2-3 hours....i am really pleased with how fast State Farm handled this.

This all happened last thursday, talked to state farm for an hour on saturday, an hour after that i had a rental car, and today i got my adjuster to give me money.

I got the insurance adjuster to give me 1,600$ to fix this:

http://rebel.fluxd.com/hosted/wreck/2.JPG

It's a large picture.

Damage:

Door is fucked, wont even open.
Right Front Q-Panel is scratched, needs paint (no visable dents or w/e)
Small dent to the left of the door (this is what sucks :( )

I found a door from a junkyard, off a 87 Turbo. It's black...they didn't have anything near my color....85$

So basically, i have 1,515$ or so to fix that dent, and paint my car.

Question for TW mechanics/body workers and whatnot:
Estimage on fixing that little dent to the left of the door? It's about 3x5 inches, obviously not a panel that can not just be replaced.

I think i made out alright...:) :wave: :birthday:

why didn't you take it to a body shop, have them fix it for you and then give the ladies insurance the bill.

Thats what happened when some dude hit me

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405955

Original thread thanks to my buddy Jcase.

I was in the car, she pulled out and hit me...all her fault.

I dont think that's the way my insurance company works, they give me an etimated amount they think it would take to fix it...which is usually more than it would...just to be safe...

I think 1,600$ is more than enough to get a new door, fix a small dent and paint 3 panels. (im going to try to get my whole car repainted, atleast the new parts PLUS my front end, which is having bad clearcoat problems)

They'll need to fix the dent, paint the door, and paint a fair amount of the panels to either side and feather/blend to match. Done right, i would expect it to cost more than 1500.

Ripper said:
why didn't you take it to a body shop, have them fix it for you and then give the ladies insurance the bill.

Thats what happened when some dude hit me
that's what they did in the 4 wrecks I was in during high school

You don't have money left over after that BUT everything the body shop does to fix the problem is covered by the insurance company.

In this case I'd say the settlement is more than enough to fix the damage and even have some left over.

You wouldn't be able to drive that around Los Angeles even a day without getting accosted by numerous Mexicans yelling, "Hey! Joo want that feexed?!"

They don't work like that (IE fix it first then pay for it)....they give me what they think would fix it + more to compensate for rates and shit...then give it to me.

They DID say that if it cost more i could go through some other company and request more but i'd need a good reason.

I think 1,600 is more than enough expecially if im doing all the door and MINOR body work myself (not dealing with the dent behind the door)

Tai said:
There's no way they can paint the whole car for 1500 and do it right.

The guy who painted my friends dad's CRX painted it all for 900$, WITH some pretty good bodywork needed. It looks really, really good. He's their family friend and would paint my car for the same (or there about) since a 300 is a lil bigger than a CRX but he would not have any body work. (i'd get that dent fixed elsewhere)

I dunno, i think i made out pretty nicely.

It should work out with some extra money...

that's retarded... last couple of times when I had to fix my car (one of them being my fault), I took the car to body shop, got the estimate from them, and then my insurance comp. wrote me a check for that amount. Fuck going around trying to find parts yourself, especially if it wasnt your fault. Have it fixed completely, whatever it takes, and let the other insurance pay for it. that's their fucking job.

He wants to save the cash. given that, it seems reasonable for him to do some of the work himself.

900 is a pretty sweet price, and if you're happy with the results and stay happy that's awesome. I would never get a paint job that cheap, but I'm picky ;)

I dont know rates where you live but that is easily above $1500 to fix properly. If your willing to live with a few blemishes on your car and some cash in your pocket then I think you came out pretty good.

deos said:
I dont know rates where you live but that is easily above $1500 to fix properly. If your willing to live with a few blemishes on your car and some cash in your pocket then I think you came out pretty good.
I agree. That looks like a hell of a lot more than $1500 worth of work. Either way, what should have happened is that you are supposed to get an estimate first and have her insurance pay for the damages. The insurance companies generally give you a list of body shops they work with and you take it to one of them to get it fixed.

Fuck doing the work yourself. Get it done right.

heh that's funny. Same thing happend to my buddy's '86 NA 300zx... driver door wrecked and front fender caved in. We went to a junkyard and dropped i think $200 on a fender and door. Took a while to install because we had to swap the window regulator/power locks and everything to the new door. plus that front fender is a bitch to get off.

Back