Flashed bios, no boot, what now?

Core

Veteran XV
This is a continuation of sorts of my last thread a few lines down. My hard drive finally died, so I got a new one, installed windows, updates, drivers, etc., etc., etc. Windows was running like a champ. Specs:

A64 3200+ @ 2.4GHz
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
2GB Crucial PC3200DDR
Maxtor Sata 250GB 16MB
Nvidia 6800GT

Once I had everything updated and installed, I ran 3DMark05, got a nice low score of ~3400. Also played BF2 for a while, and it was very glitchy. Suspecting something was wrong with the video installation, I went to update my VGA drivers on the motherboard with MSI Live update. While I was at it i updated the bios from v1.7 to v1.9. I also created a rescue disk. Once the flash was done, I rebooted and now I got nothing. The bios doesn't boot at all. I've tried resetting the cmos a bunch of times. Sometimes I get no beeps, sometimes I get repeating long beeps.

So how do I get my shit fixed if i can't even get into the bios to reset the boot priority?

you could try to remove the mainboard batterie alternativly in case the jumper cmos reset doesn´t work properly.

if you can´t even get in bios there is few stuff too do.
As last thing you could always un- and replug all hardware. Dunno why but this helps sometimes.

well my bad luck continues. $35 to overnight a new bios chip from msi :(.

Last edited:
umm, in the manual it should tell you a key combination on powering on for recovering the BIOS from floppy.

liggyman said:
umm, in the manual it should tell you a key combination on powering on for recovering the BIOS from floppy.
Yeah I happen to know MSI's is ctrl-home. Hold that down while you turn the computer on and it should look for a BIOS image in the floppy. The only reason I know this is because the only time I've ever seen a bad flash was on an MSI mobo. Ctrl-home didn't work though.

Ixiterra said:
Yeah I happen to know MSI's is ctrl-home. Hold that down while you turn the computer on and it should look for a BIOS image in the floppy. The only reason I know this is because the only time I've ever seen a bad flash was on an MSI mobo. Ctrl-home didn't work though.

This is only for an AMI bios. My board has an Award bios. There is no keystroke combo to force update. I specifically asked the MSI tech this when I talked to him yesterday.

Even with an AMI bios, it might not have worked in my case. If the bios chip is toast, there's not much you can do but replace it.

Back