Scary things I learned in my job training today about food you buy

Tinweasel

Banned
Training to be a Truck Broker currently, mainly moving produce and meat around the country. This first one isn't really scary, but it's funny (especially considering it's from the Arkansas/S. Carolina area): I've been shipping chicken from Arkansas to S. Carolina, and then loading the truck up with identical chicken product to head to Arkansas. Now these two are the scary ones: first, I've been seeing oranges shipped from Florida to California, where they are repackaged and shipped back to Florida as California product. Second, did you know that eggs you buy in the grocery store can sit for up to five years before they are sold, and if they aren't sold they are sent to a cracker and stored in 5 gallon tubs where they can be stored indefinitely, essentially (these tubs of old eggs are what are bought buy companies like Sara Lee to make their cakes)?

Cliffs:
- products are being shipped to areas that don't need it for the sake of creating money.
- produce labels (and probably other things) can be totally misleading.
- I'm afraid to eat eggs now (which is sad because I loves me some eggs).

I can say that some things about eggs are true... the cartons with the cracked eggs are taken to the back, and then like once every 4-6 months repackaged into fresh clean cartons.

I started buying eggs with the best before date printed on the eggs shortly there after.

Fool said:
How do they keep them from turning rotten?

apperantly if they are kept at a consistent temperature they can keep. But a home fridge can't do that cause everytime you open it all the cold air rushes out the bottom.

Tinweasel said:
Second, did you know that eggs you buy in the grocery store can sit for up to five years before they are sold,

I don't believe this and will need proof. According to the USDA they have to put pack dates on all inspected egg cartons. They use the julian day and the year.

Killjoy said:
I heard some disturbing information about soilent green the other day......
7566554.jpg

SOYLENT, not soilent. Like SOY sauce. If you're gonna dish on a classic, at least get the spelling right.

Killjoy said:
whatever I have jet lag, bite me
Maybe, but you'll need to go Home first, get processed and come back as marketable, attractive and (dare I say it) pleasant-smelling thin green squares.

GOgoGO!

Last edited:
TrojanMan421 said:
1/3 Chickens you buy at the grocery store already have salmonella.

I don't know if the percentage is that high...but I do know a large percentage of chickens are infected. That is why they are so psycho about cooking it thoroughly and cleaning up the utensils etc you use in preparing it (i.e. not using the same cutting board for veggies that you cut up the chicken on).

Chicken factory farming is disgusting.

Killjoy said:
omg you said thing instead of thin. ATTAK

j/k

;)
lol you're right. Lemme fix that... better! Gracias!
Ever considered being a QA guy? Even with jetlag, you seem to be doing a good job.

Back