Are antibiotics killing us?

Considering my Chlamydia wouldn't have gone away without it causing me to go sterile, I'd say it's rejuvenating us.

The pandemic that really threatens mankind wont be a virus, it will be a super resistant basteria. Ask anyone who works int he medical field, particularly lab techs and microbiologists and they will spin some serious nightmare tales of simple bacteria that 20 years ago could be killed by penicillin and now are resistant to the most advanced and lethal antibiotics.

Its due primarily to people taking antibiotics when they shouldn't. Flu for example is a virus but people seem to always want to take antibiotics for it. That and never completing the course of treatment. If the prescription says take it for 3 weeks, but you only take it for 2 weeks becasue your symptons go away, all you accomplished was give the surviving bacteria a bit of a resistant to the medicine you used.

creationism9an.gif

I figured it was people getting immune to antibiotics that was the threat, I never assumed it would be the virus getting immune. I guess all my years of getting over sickness without antibiotics doesn't matter now. :\

staxxx said:
I figured it was people getting immune to antibiotics that was the threat, I never assumed it would be the virus getting immune. I guess all my years of getting over sickness without antibiotics doesn't matter now. :\

It does, it measn you have a healthy immune system. Most of the drug reistant straisn are relatively simple diseases. The human immune system could handle them normally. Occassional use of antibiotics for tough infections is all that is needed. Rampant use of antibiotics meakes the resistant strain virtually indestructible to the human immune system and all the tools we use. Luckily for us our sanitation system is advanced enoguh that super resistant strains have primarily been contained to hospitals and haven't "escaped" into the general population to become a pandemic.

Back