[fuck] HD crashing

che

Veteran X
ok, so my primary HD is completly crashing, its making wierd noises and freezing up. So basically i need to find some way to back everything up before it goes down for good. So how can i find out which partition is on which drive. Also i am thinking about getting an external drive instead of getting another external because my computer is dieing and i think i will be buying a laptop next. so any suggestions for external drives would be much appreciated and ways to keep this one up long enough to tranfer important shit over. thanks for the help!

That makes a whole lot of sense.
che said:
ok, so my primary HD is completly crashing, its making wierd noises and freezing up. So basically i need to find some way to back everything up before it goes down for good. So how can i find out which partition is on which drive. Also i am thinking about getting an external drive instead of getting another external because my computer is dieing and i think i will be buying a laptop next. so any suggestions for external drives would be much appreciated and ways to keep this one up long enough to tranfer important shit over. thanks for the help!

i have four partitions and two hd's one of which is crashing. the one with C: and one of the other three partitions. I just want to make sure that my MP3's are safe, and if not if it is possible to save them. should i freeze the drive?

freezing the drive is stupid.

get a new drive, copy what you need to it, and then throw out the drive that's making the noise. It's not brain surgery.

Vlasic said:
freezing the drive is stupid.

get a new drive, copy what you need to it, and then throw out the drive that's making the noise. It's not brain surgery.

right, i am trying to figure out which other partition is in trouble

how the fuck do you partition your drives and not know which partition is on which drive....it's right there in disk management

iNVAR said:
how the fuck do you partition your drives and not know which partition is on which drive....it's right there in disk management

i think he thinks that the hard drive is only fucked up on one partition. If its clicking, it usually means the whole thing is shot. Its not just bad sectors.

che said:
right, i am trying to figure out which other partition is in trouble
right clock my computer

pick 'manage'

find 'disk management'

look at list of devices - it tells you what partitions are on what device

I recently found out that one of my 40gb HDD's had a useless 5gig partition that had nothing associated to it. I was going to install partition magic and fix it but I just bought a 250gb sata HDD and already have another 40gb HDD so I can live with 5 gigs not being available for now.

I love my computer now yay

so that HD is just shot nothing i can do. this fucking sucks...now i am going to have to cross my fingers and hope that my MP3's are not on the same disk

che said:
so that HD is just shot nothing i can do. this fucking sucks...now i am going to have to cross my fingers and hope that my MP3's are not on the same disk

????

What the fuck is going on in here? Can someone translate for che? I don't seem to understand what is going on in this thread.

che said:
turn your fucking computer off and do not use it until you get a new drive.

The more you use a failing drive, the faster it will fail.

Vlasic said:
turn your fucking computer off and do not use it until you get a new drive.

The more you use a failing drive, the faster it will fail.

It is completly gone, it isn't even detected by BIOS, i think that my music is safe and i have a backup of almost everything. So i think i am actually pretty much safe. It just sucks. I just bought a 200 gig external HD for 150 bucks. Its amazing how cheap stuff is now adays. Anyway, is there anything i can do with the old HD? i would like to rehabilitate it if possible but i fear the worst.

Back