magnet defeating material?

slacker

Veteran XX
is there some sort of plastic or metal or something that when 2 strong magnets that are attracted together are put in between this material, are unable to attract eachother? aka, when we were kids we would move a magnet on top of a table with one underneath the table...is there a material that unlike the table, would not allow this attraction?

I think he may be talking about a natural substance that can do that. But logically most materials will inherently do that with enough thickness. I think he means one that completely negates a magnetic field rather than using thickness to weaken it.

Feannag said:
I think he may be talking about a natural substance that can do that. But logically most materials will inherently do that with enough thickness. I think he means one that completely negates a magnetic field rather than using thickness to weaken it.
correct

you can reduce the field, but not cancel it out.

Covering the magnet with a steel plate/disc.
The field is still pretty strong, but not as strong as it would be without it.

ok, would that still work if i had a box of magnet and the box was made out of steel? aka, would magnetic material be less attracted to the magnets in the box becasue the box was steel?

MasterPudge said:
ok, would that still work if i had a box of magnet and the box was made out of steel? aka, would magnetic material be less attracted to the magnets in the box becasue the box was steel?

if you could lift it.

Back