teacher rips out boy's insulin pump

P Masta Flex

Contributor
Veteran X
5060266_240X180.jpg

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/education/5060084/detail.html

Teacher Mistakes Boy's Insulin Pump For Phone, Rips It Out
Boy Is Diabetic

CLERMONT, Fla. -- School officials in Lake County, Fla., said a substitute teacher pulled out a student's insulin pump after mistaking it for a cell phone.

Cliffton Hassam told East Ridge High School officials that his insulin pump began beeping in class Friday. But before he could turn it off, Hassam said substitute teacher Richard Maline ripped it from his leg.

Hassam is diabetic. The insulin pump regulates his blood sugar level.

Lake County School District officials said Maline pulled the pump because he thought the beeping came from a cell phone. They said Maline realized his mistake after he grabbed the pump.

In the written statement Hassam gave to school officials Tuesday, he said the pump fell to the floor and the tube came out of his leg. The high school junior said his blood sugar levels did not return to normal until early this week.

School district officials said Maline has been removed from the pool of substitute teachers.

Most people would ask "what is that?" before grabbing something that is ATTACHED to another person...

Tycho said:
Most people would ask "what is that?" before grabbing something that is ATTACHED to another person...

so that would lead you to believe he didn't realize it was attached, through his own fault or not, still seems an honest mistake

Even so, there seems like there could be better ways to handle the situation. If I believed it was a cell phone, I'd ask the kid to turn it off or something. I don't think there's any reason to just TAKE something from someone like that.

placid said:
that's kind of shitty, seems like an honest mistake
Excuse me?
1) Keep your hands off of my child.
2) Ask what is causing the beeping.
3) Ask the kid to leave the class.

That substitute teacher endagered that child's life.

The lawyers will have a field day with this one.
Only thing is, it's the school they are sueing, and not a private company.
Still, they'll go for as much money as possible.

Stilgar said:
Excuse me?
1) Keep your hands off of my child.
2) Ask what is causing the beeping.
3) Ask the kid to leave the class.

That substitute teacher endagered that child's life.

because reasoning with high school kids always works

NoGodForMe said:
The lawyers will have a field day with this one.
Only thing is, it's the school they are sueing, and not a private company.
Still, they'll go for as much money as possible.
they can sue the school district you know

Back