[BowHunting] Equipment Advice for Beginner

Recar

Veteran XV
I know many of us on TW are gun lovers and hunters. I have been hunting for years but I have always used rifle and scope. Are any of you BowHunters? I am looking to get my first bow and was looking for some advice on where to start. I have been looking at all sorts of stuff but I really have no clue as to brands and which ones are good or bad. I know most bows come naked and you have to also purchase the sights/trigger release/quiver/stabilizer etc all seperate in most cases. What arrows do you prefer and which broadheads? Any insight would be appreciated and also any forums that you frequent would be nice too.

Just for reference I am looking to spend around $750 for entire setup.

:clap: more hunters on tw

I don't bow hunt but my brother does, our bow season here comes in at the same time as blackpowder rifle season so I just use a blackpowder until regular gun season starts up

He went to bass pro shops and got a nice setup there, they usually know what they're talking about

I spent a few hours there on Sunday looking. (nice to have that so close in grapevine). For some reason there was no one around at the archery counter. I just kinda looked and wondered. I plan on going back this week on lunch.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm wow this page has a shit load of info

"Never pull back and release a bow string without an arrow attached. This is called "dry firing" a bow and each time it occurs you significantly reduce the life expectancy of the bow and may cause immediate damage to both the bow and yourself."

Recar, I'll call my uncle that owns the sporting goods store if you'd like. I dunno if he's done fixing his house/store yet, but I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Get with me.

Reverend Zero said:
I would start hunting if I were allowed to keep firearms in the house. Really interested in it, get me out of the house more.
I've been hunting since I was old enough to sit in the treestand with my grandpa

We have a little over 1000 acres of land in Gaffney, sc

All I know is that you'll want a compound bow (the kind with wheels), not a recurve (the kind without). The reason for this is that with a recurve, the farther back you pull the harder you pull. However, for a compound bow the maximum tension is reached somewhere in the middle of pulling back, and then tension is let down again. This makes it easier to hold the bow at full draw, which you'll be doing while you aim, thus making aiming easier. Unless you're damn good at shooting, it'd probably be irresponsible to use a recurve, as compound bows tend to be more accurate while with a recurve bow you may have a higher chance of wounding or maiming an animal without killing it.

Last edited:
I use a long bow and wood arrows to hunt grouse in the Fall.
It is one of my greatest pleasures.
Here's a pic of the Martin long bow I use (50lb draw)
stick.jpg

WrathChild said:
Why is dry firing a bow a bad idea?

physics. You release all the draw weight of the bow... into the bow. No arrow means there place for all that tension to go into, so you could easily be putting that 30-60lb draw weight of pressure right back onto your bow in an instant. With higher draw weights you can literally shatter the bow that way.

Hoovie said:
Recar, I'll call my uncle that owns the sporting goods store if you'd like. I dunno if he's done fixing his house/store yet, but I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Get with me.

Thanks. find me in IRC. PS: wanna watch foosball tonight?

A La Carte said:
All I know is that you'll want a compound bow (the kind with wheels), not a recurve (the kind without). The reason for this is that with a recurve, the farther back you pull the harder you pull. However, for a compound bow the maximum tension is reached somewhere in the middle of pulling back, and then tension is let down again. This makes it easier to hold the bow at full draw, which you'll be doing while you aim, thus making aiming easier. Unless you're damn good at shooting, it'd probably be irresponsible to use a recurve, as compound bows tend to be more accurate while with a recurve bow you may have a higher chance of wounding or maiming an animal without killing it.

Definately compound. That is the one thing I had learned this weekend in my research.

Brasstax said:
I use a long bow and wood arrows to hunt grouse in the Fall.
It is one of my greatest pleasures.
Here's a pic of the Martin long bow I use (50lb draw)
stick.jpg
that's pretty hardcore

there's a guy in our hunting club that uses a recurve to hunt turkey and deer, he's been doing it for 30 years or so and has never killed a single thing with it but for some reason he enjoys the hell out of it

I get grouse pretty much every year. (Not exactly the smartest bird in the woods)
I carry a couple of "flu flu" arrows.
ex8.jpg

You can shoot them at flying targets and not worry about them flying down the hill and killing someone.

I have not been able to get one out of mid-air yet. I have been really close.
Maybe this year! hehehehe

if I shot something midair with an arrow that would probably be the single coolest thing to ever happen in my life

Back