How would one go and create a modified windows XP iso with all of your programs...

AkumA

Contributor
Veteran XX
Installed.

I would like to format and have xp install with sp2 and some of my basic apps.

Is this an easy accomplishment?

I think your best bet would be to use something like Norton Ghost to make an image of the drive, and just reload the image every time.

I'm sure you can hire someone else to do this task for you, and then assume all credit for work done.

Spoiler

Wow.

Wouldn't ghost be faster than the links posted, though?

(That shit is pretty amazing though)

Thanks guys.

I guess that is a good question. Would ghost be easier? I guess not because the install would work on other peoples pcs also.

Thats the deciding factor

AkumA said:
Thanks guys.

I guess that is a good question. Would ghost be easier? I guess not because the install would work on other peoples pcs also.

Thats the deciding factor

Ghost only works on machines with duplicate hardware?

Azra3l said:
Yes, because all ghost is doing is creating an image of the hard drive. It has no idea what applications are installed, it simply stores the 1s and 0s as an image. That's the limiting factor of ghost. If you need to run that customized install on different PCs then you need to go the other route of creating your own XP CD.

Ghost is a bad idea if you are putting the images on different configured systems. I use an RIS (remote installation server) at work that can install multiple OS's with different configurations. One might install programs that the project managers need while another might install things the finance people will use.

It really is quite easy once you understand how to do it. Figuring out the silent install tags is the most complicate thing really. Whenever I have to format a computer (migrating from 2k to xp) it installs all the windows updates patches that I put in their, office, firefox, adobe (and updates), and a few other things. I literally start the process then come back an hour later and I'm at the desktop. No need to do anything and the computer is all but ready to be used.

Last edited:
Azra3l said:

Imagine taking the hard drive out of your computer and putting it in a friends. It might work or it might not. Ghosting is good for things like computer labs where everything has to be the exact same and they all use the same system.

Chimera said:
Ghost is a bad idea if you are putting the images on different configured systems. I use an RIS (remote installation server) at work that can install multiple OS's with different configurations. One might install programs that the project managers need while another might install things the finance people will use.

It really is quite easy once you understand how to do it. Figuring out the silent install tags is the most complicate thing really. Whenever I have to format a computer (migrating from 2k to xp) it installs all the windows updates patches that I put in their, office, firefox, adobe (and updates), and a few other things. I literally start the process then come back an hour later and I'm at the desktop. No need to do anything and the computer is all but ready to be used.
Yeah, I was trying to tackle RIS a few months ago. I'm in one of those situations where I'm the most computer literate person in the company, but that doesn't make me an expert. So I'm trying to teach myself stuff as I go, I just didn't have time to wrestle with that completely. However, we have another location connected via a T1 to us here, and we're going to be totally revamping their network soon, so there are something I have GOT to learn how to do ASAP.

Back